Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
jamiegramo
Victor III

Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question

Post by jamiegramo »

Hi,

I'm in need of a sapphire stylus to play Pathé records. The following stylus is being offered in France at 28 Euros, which seems very reasonable, to play Pathé vertical cut records. But does it look right? It looks pointed rather than ball-shaped. Any comments much appreciated.

Jamie

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pathé-Sapphi ... SweB1eYqBU
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.78 KiB) Viewed 2216 times

physicist
Victor O

Re: Pathé Sapphire Ball Stylus - Question

Post by physicist »

Hi Jamie,

It's difficult to be sure without a scale in the image but the two I inherited do look hemispherical on the tip. Looking at images of others on the web, they all seem to be rounder than the one on offer.
Unfortunately, I don't have a suitable lens to get a good image of mine...

PS - on further web browsing (and after measuring mine) the tip diameter should be
1/32 inch ( ~ 0.8 mm). This is correctly reported here:-

http://radio-antiks.com/IndexRadio-Anti ... ffusor.htm

but completely wrong on this wikipedia page:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathé_Records

hope this helps
Robin

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The diamond disc styli have sharply pointed tips...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Thanks for the replies. All I have to go on is the pictures on the web but using the brass post as a point of scale it looks like the stylus being offered isn't wide or hemispherical enough. Basically too pointed. Perhaps the maker was thinking of Edison diamond discs.

I could write to the seller and ask why the point of his stylus doesn't look like this:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (14.74 KiB) Viewed 2143 times

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

jamiegramo wrote:Thanks for the replies. All I have to go on is the pictures on the web but using the brass post as a point of scale it looks like the stylus being offered isn't wide or hemispherical enough. Basically too pointed. Perhaps the maker was thinking of Edison diamond discs.

I could write to the seller and ask why the point of his stylus doesn't look like this:
The point does look rather strange but he seems knowledgeable no ? Although the contact with the Pathé groove might be a bit odd as it looks pointy

I have one left of the ones I had made if you want to offer £30 which was what they cost you can have it :D can't get any more made they were always well liked !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254389665538

Point picture here a ball
Attachments
apathsty.jpg
Last edited by soundgen on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Curt A wrote:The diamond disc styli have sharply pointed tips...
The diamond disc styli are diamonds :)

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

soundgen wrote:
jamiegramo wrote:Thanks for the replies. All I have to go on is the pictures on the web but using the brass post as a point of scale it looks like the stylus being offered isn't wide or hemispherical enough. Basically too pointed. Perhaps the maker was thinking of Edison diamond discs.

The point does look rather strange but he seems knowledgeable no ? Although the contact with the Pathé groove might be a bit odd as it looks pointy

I have one left of the ones I had made if you want to offer £30 which was what they cost you can have it :D can't get any more made they were always well liked !

Mike,

Does it have a sapphire or glass point? If sapphire I'll definitely take it.

Thanks, Jamie

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

jamiegramo wrote:
soundgen wrote:

Mike,

Does it have a sapphire or glass point? If sapphire I'll definitely take it.

Thanks, Jamie
Sapphire of course machined by expert stylus !

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

On the left, a shank-mounted conical diamond stylus for Edison Diamond Discs; on the right, a shank-mounted ball-sapphire for Pathé and other ‘hill-and-dale’ recordings.
98365210-D744-4879-B367-D806F26A8BD6.jpeg
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan