Ultona rebuild questions...

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
holdthepickle
Victor Jr

Ultona rebuild questions...

Post by holdthepickle »

I have a Brunswick Model 117 and recently I came into possession of a second Ultona reproducer. It’s in rough shape and I decided I’d like to try to rebuild it myself. I have two main questions before I start. On the Edison side, how do you remove the stylus?? It appears to be mounted on a pivot pin, but how do you get the pin out? It doesn’t seem to want to budge. Any tips??
Second question is: where can I get a new gasket for the inner ones? It looks like the outer gaskets are the soft rubber tubing, but the inner ones are flat rubber gaskets. Where can I get those?? Thanks!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Ultona rebuild questions...

Post by CarlosV »

The Edison shank of the Ultona is installed in the same way as in the Edison soundboxes, you will need a caliper to push the pin out. A sowing needle with the tip sanded will work, but you will need extreme care when pushing the pin, if you exert too much strength you may break the support. I fixed the whole thing in a vice and tapped lightly until the pin moved out. About the rubber gaskets, I replaced both outer and inner sides with the same soft rubber, and it works fine. I suspect that this is what was used originally, and the inner side flattened over the years.

holdthepickle
Victor Jr

Re: Ultona rebuild questions...

Post by holdthepickle »

Thanks @CarlosV ! I’ll give it a whirl with the sewing needle. I was trying a shirt piece of mig welding wire, but it just kept bending on me. The dual rubber tubing for the gaskets was my backup plan, so I’ll just go ahead with that. It’s good to have some reassurance though!