Victrola Credenza grill cloth

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
SittingRabbit
Victor I

Re: Victrola Credenza grill cloth

Post by SittingRabbit »

Curt A wrote:The worst part of your gold tonearm is the reproducer. That reproducer is pot metal and has noticeable cracks on the back, which will only get worse over time. Trying to disassemble it to rebuild it might end up disintegrating it, so finding another gold "brass" Orthophonic reproducer that has already been rebuilt would be ideal, although a little pricey since they are very desirable and harder to find than the pot metal ones. Put a want ad on the Trader section and see if someone can help you with that... just a thought. Also, sometimes you can find an HMV version 5A or 5B easier and more reasonably than one labeled Victor.

PS: You can tell a brass backed reproducer from the pot metal version by looking at the writing on the back. The pot metal back has raised lettering, like yours, where the brass back has recessed lettering.

Here's my other reproducer. Is this the brass version?
Attachments
signal-2020-08-04-160903.jpg
signal-2020-08-04-161130-3.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think seven holes is brass, nine is pot metal. I think this is a genuine original brass Orthophonic-- a desirable piece and worth restoration.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

As Charles points out, it is the brass version. It looks to be in very good condition. Other than maybe a rebuild by a qualified person, it should need nothing. The plating is very good!

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

Yep, I'm sending both to Mr. Wyatt Markus to restore.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

SittingRabbit wrote:Wow, or never noticed that crack, you're right! Is that from the vibrations overtime from being played so much? I didn't know pot metal would do that.

How pricey are we looking then? Does the brass one and pot metal one sound the same?
The cracking is due to impurities in the metal, which cause it to expand over time.

-Bill

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

Ok. I'm going to send them to Wyatt Markus.

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I think seven holes is brass, nine is pot metal. I think this is a genuine original brass Orthophonic-- a desirable piece and worth restoration.
No, you're eyes are just fine, haha! One of mine is pot metal, and the other one is brass.

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

Masking tape on the other side. Thoughts? I left both the vertical inlay pieces that hold the cloth to the grill out as they were buggers to get out and didn't survive completely intact.

I have that old lady's spun orthophonic grill cloth, and I'm getting an extra grill that has holes in it, so I might try to put the cloth in that one instead.

Is it very noticeable? I imagine that the other grill will have different screw holes aligned differently as I can tell they were put in originally by hand. Part of me really wants a new grill cloth, as the original one was filthy. Back then, they would have ripped it out and put a new one in, so why shouldn't I haha! Whichever looks the best in the end will go in the credenza, with the spare to always be with it in my fruit cellar (dry, cool, nice room).

Thoughts?
Attachments
20200816_124643.jpg
20200816_124631.jpg

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

I encourage you to get that masking tape off that cloth as soon as you can. The adhesive is high in sulphur, will turn to a nasty goo, probably discolor the area, with it finally hardening and falling off in 5-10 years.

However, I think you're on to something by reinforcing it from the back. I'd encourage you to visit a fabric store and talk about your options to somebody there. I'd guess you'd end up buying a small piece of neutrally colored cloth and stitching it in place with a thread matched to your grille cloth - darker would be better.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you enjoy your Credenza, they are awesome machines.

Regards,
Martin

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

Yeah, you're right. I have an extra grill now that is not as good shape with a big hole in it that I could use as a backing. Part of me though keeps wanting to replace it with the new old orthophonic grill cloth as just about everything else on my Credenza looks new, in original condition.