Playing vinyl on my Credenza

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
SittingRabbit
Victor I

Re: Playing vinyl on my Credenza

Post by SittingRabbit »

Ha! I'll try that on my viny.
chunnybh wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:57 am I posted this link a while back but here it is again.
A polymer bank note playing vinyl. Minimal wear.
https://youtu.be/o1WfFfT7GAI

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

I see no one here has really discussed the frequency equalization issue with later 78 recordings. The acoustic playback of an Orthophonic Victrola follows a constant velocity response. That is the constant loudness across the frequency band is based on stylus velocity. Records in the late twenties thru much of the thirties were cut following the constant velocity response. Looking at the grooves you will see large swings of the lower frequencies.

With electronic pickups and amplification, record makers altered the response to lower the bass frequency amplitude boost the high frequencies. This would be compensated for on playback with the aim to reduce surface noise and allow a finer pitch groove.

The result is as you watch your vinyl 78 get decimated by the 200 gram tracking force, the audio will be shrill and lacking bass.

You should only consider owning an Orthophonic Victrola if you prefer to listen to acoustic or early electric recordings made up to about 1940. After that, you should look at alternatives.
Last edited by Governor Flyball on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

Hmmmm🤔

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Governor Flyball wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:24 pm I see no one here has really discussed tge frequency equalization issue with later 78 recordings..........
You should only consider owning an Orthophonic Victrola if you prefer to listen to acoustic or early electric recordings made up to about 1940. After that, you should look at alternatives.
This page -- https://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/mixphono.htm -- provides a compact summary of the (standard) equalization methods used.

OrthoFan