Playing vinyl on my Credenza

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
SittingRabbit
Victor I

Re: Playing vinyl on my Credenza

Post by SittingRabbit »

52089 wrote:
SittingRabbit wrote:I have around 5000 78s, and maybe 100 vinyl. I won't put my stereo system (top of the line in the 70s) in my restored living room as it would'nt match everything, so I have to play them in my study. I just wanted a cheater way of playing my vinyl in the living room haha! My Credenza makes every record sound better, so I though maybe if retrofitted with something that wouldn't kill my vinyl would be a plus.
You may want to get or build one of those gadgets that will play MP3 files through the tonearm, either wired or Bluetooth. A couple of these have been described on this board. Just search and I'm sure you'll find the relevant posts.
Yeah

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

CAPS had an article about an adapter with counter weight for Pathé discs. Maybe this is what you're thinking of?
https://www.capsnews.org/apn2011-3.htm
Vince
Youtube

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

But that won’t do anything about the mass of the tonearm or its ability to respond to warps. Of course, the Pathé adapter will improve vertical compliance, but at the cost of horizontal compliance.

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

Dunno, imagine still a novice

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

soundgen wrote: ....... Of course you can play any vinyl record of any speed on any wind up gramophone ! Only once though :D
Here's a good example of that :lol: --

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

O.F.

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

OrthoFan wrote:
soundgen wrote: ....... Of course you can play any vinyl record of any speed on any wind up gramophone ! Only once though :D
Here's a good example of that :lol: --

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

O.F.

:shock:

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

It's amazing how easy it can be to get sound from a record. I've seen youtube of using the corner of a piece of card to play 78's (I think this was promoted as a cheap record player in India). When I was a kid I took a dressmaker's needle, and held it in my hand to play vinyl records rotated on my record player. I was fascinated by how I could hear the music (very quietly) from the vibrations of holding the needle in the groove.

I was too young to understand that vinyl is very soft (esp. in comparison to cylinders and 78's). What I know know is that playing any microgroove record with the wrong size stylus, worn stylus, incorrectly setup arm/cart/stylus, etc. can do permanent damage to the record in one playing. Certainly, playing on a 78 player or with wood styli, etc. will certainly ruin the record.

By all means have fun experimenting with a trashed record that has not musical importance. But please don't wreck any records worthy of preservation.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

You can play 78s in a very funny and interesting way. Just take a standard writing paper sheet, letter or A4 size, and fold back one corner tightly, just half inch, so it forms a triangular double thickness corner. Then take the paper sheet with your hand by the middle of the long side, so the plied corner enters into the groove of a record revolving on the turntable, and hold it while playing. If you curve slightly the paper with your fingers, so to put it at a certain stiffness against the grooves, you'll hear the paper sheet sing along with a pretty loud and clear sound. It's like the poor man's Pathé Difussor or HMV Lumière... :D
I have to make a video of that showing it to you...
I used to play this way with my brother, each one with his paper, playing the same record at different points. Wow! When we catched the same groove it sounded like an echo! Pity that the paper corner wears out quickly... If you use a clean and somewhat silent recording, a soft one like a piano and violin music, it lasts longer... You will need to practice a bit, so you learn the correct pressure to hold the paper following the groove, neither too tight not too loose .. not difficult. You'll find the right way soon... You need a steady hand, of course!
Inigo

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I posted this link a while back but here it is again.
A polymer bank note playing vinyl. Minimal wear.
https://youtu.be/o1WfFfT7GAI

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

I'll do that with the kids. Thanks!

Inigo wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:12 pm You can play 78s in a very funny and interesting way. Just take a standard writing paper sheet, letter or A4 size, and fold back one corner tightly, just half inch, so it forms a triangular double thickness corner. Then take the paper sheet with your hand by the middle of the long side, so the plied corner enters into the groove of a record revolving on the turntable, and hold it while playing. If you curve slightly the paper with your fingers, so to put it at a certain stiffness against the grooves, you'll hear the paper sheet sing along with a pretty loud and clear sound. It's like the poor man's Pathé Difussor or HMV Lumière... :D
I have to make a video of that showing it to you...
I used to play this way with my brother, each one with his paper, playing the same record at different points. Wow! When we catched the same groove it sounded like an echo! Pity that the paper corner wears out quickly... If you use a clean and somewhat silent recording, a soft one like a piano and violin music, it lasts longer... You will need to practice a bit, so you learn the correct pressure to hold the paper following the groove, neither too tight not too loose .. not difficult. You'll find the right way soon... You need a steady hand, of course!