Rebuilding Reproducer Question - Brooks Phonograph

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Tom565
Victor Jr

Rebuilding Reproducer Question - Brooks Phonograph

Post by Tom565 »

Hi. I finally found a reproducer and tone arm for my Brooks Automatic Repeating Phonograph after a two year search. I'm currently rebuilding the reproducer and had a question. I already bought new gasket material for the mica circle. When I took the reproducer off the tone arm extension, it looks like there is some old dried up gasket material behind it. It's black and very brittle. Does anyone known if this was just a rubber washer or was it like a liquid caulking? I need to find a replacement. You can see in the picture that it was around the outer edge below the patent date. Thanks.
Attachments
20200828_212805.jpg
20200907_073632.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Rebuilding Reproducer Question - Brooks Phonograph

Post by JerryVan »

That would have been a rubber washer. You might get very lucky at a good hardware store, in the plumbing dept., and find something that will work. Chances are however, it will be too thick. You'll probably need to buy some rubber sheet, (try McMaster.Com), and cut one out yourself. I like to use silicone rubber for things like this. Try to accurately measure the thickness of one of your fragments and get something just a tad thicker than that. (Maybe like .005" - .010" thicker)

Also, being this is all made of pot metal, be extremely careful when working on it. For that front ring, (that retains the diaphragm), tighten the each screw sequentially, a little at a time so that no one screw exerts extra pressure on the ring, causing it to snap. Nothing has to be wildly tight here, just snug enough to assemble.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Trish of Goldenstatephono on Etsy sells replacements gaskets of different sizes. I believe (but I'm not sure) that she owns the machinery to cut round parts, so if you write her you might have the part cut to your specifications. Here's just an example:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/756800902/ ... _active_32

Tom565
Victor Jr

Post by Tom565 »

Thanks for the replies. I have a large stockpile of rubber washers of different sizes so I'll try that first. I'd be surprised if I have one that fits though. Etsy or my local hardware store sound like a good backup plan.

tesch1932
Victor I
Personal Text: I'm Steve

Post by tesch1932 »

When I needed flat rubber gasket for a Jewel reproducer, I took it to this rubber and packing shop near me, and they were able to stamp out an accurate replacement, no problem.

Maybe find a good plumber or mechanic in your area who can do the same thing?