Orthophonic reproducer questions....

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
andyjon100
Victor I

Orthophonic reproducer questions....

Post by andyjon100 »

Hello, everyone! I have what may be a dumb first question, but I've never dealt with an Orthophonic reproducer or aluminum diaphragm before. Aside from the obvious major damage - holes, etc., what determines the need to replace one? I have one out of my VE8-12X that has a few smallish extra wrinkles in it, and would like to know if these affect much, and warrant replacing the diaphragm. I would also like to know how the needle bar comes out of the housing. The bearings are all gone, the rubber bushings have turned to goo, and cleaning things up in there while still assembled is near impossible. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Attachments
20200921_041419.jpg
20200921_041443.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Orthophonic reproducer questions....

Post by CarlosV »

If your diaphragm does not have holes there is no need to replace it. The aluminium does no degrade over time, and yours look in good shape. You can fix these creases with a small wooden pick, carefully flattening the affected areas.

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Thank you! I didn't think it needed to be replaced, but I wanted to hear from someone who knows for sure - thank God I don't! I can't imagine removing and reinstalling that spider! Now.... If anyone can tell me how to remove the needle bar.....

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The cross bar is pressed into the needle bar and must be removed first. I place a piece of tubing over one end of the cross bar. While that tubing sits vertical & clamped in a vise, I tap the other end of the cross bar with a small pin punch. This drives the cross bar out of the needle bar and drops it into the piece of tubing. It's handy if you have someone to hold the reproducer housing while this is going on!

By the way, in my experience, it's not always necessary to remove the needle bar. If everything is in good condition and you clean up everything while assembled, then just reassemble the rest of the reproducer and remount the ball bearings. Soaking in alcohol should break down the old rubber goo.

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll try to clean it in situ, I don't want to risk further damage to the fragile pot metal body. Slip ups and stupid accidents happen.

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Instead of going through the hassle of rebuilding the pot metal unit, I found this. Can anyone tell me if this portable Orthophonic reproducer will work for my VE8-12X?
Attachments
ortho2.jpg
ortho1.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

andyjon100 wrote:Instead of going through the hassle of rebuilding the pot metal unit, I found this. Can anyone tell me if this portable Orthophonic reproducer will work for my VE8-12X?
Yes, the portable orthophonic only differs from the cabinet ones by the external shell. The interface with the arm is the same.

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Thank you!