WANTED: Repair to my VE-405 Electric Universal Motor

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Bruce_Van_Note
Victor I

WANTED: Repair to my VE-405 Electric Universal Motor

Post by Bruce_Van_Note »

I'm hoping someone who has had experience with the Victor 82-C electric motor, which came with my VE-405, can do some repair work on the motor. There some electrical connections that look suspicious but, the biggest problem I have is the motor runs WAY too fast and is very noisy. The friction leathers attached to the speed control do not slow the motor down. I'm attaching some photos and a short video which should show the problems. If anyone is able to help, please contact me.
Bruce Van Note
Attachments
IMG_2418.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG
IMG_2451.MOV
(67.86 MiB) Downloaded 483 times
"No matter where you go, there you are"

Henry
Victor V

Re: WANTED: Repair to my VE-405 Electric Universal Motor

Post by Henry »

Just guessing here---possibly the motor was intended to run on a lower voltage than 110 AC, which would explain the higher speed if you're plugged into standard house current.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I had the same problem with a similar spring-driven version of this motor (HMV 32), so hope this also applies to yours. It would appear that both of the little leather pads are hard up against the brass disc. The small one should be, that only serves to move the indicator needle as the motor gathers speed. The larger of the two pads, however, should be a short distance from the brass disc, and stay there when the motor stops. The actual position is determined by where you set the speed adjustor. The disc then moves along it's shaft until it touches the leather pad, and then stops, thus not allowing the governors to open more and increase the speed. The brass disc should NOT move the pad, so if this is case, then the pad is not being held securely. Check that it is firmly attached to the long lever directly under the speed adjuster, there is a screw that connects the two parts, which may be loose, thus making the two parts not connect, and the pad to"float". When you get the pad fixed correctly, you will have to do a bit of adjustment at the join to get the pad in the correct place when the speed is set to 78.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Henry wrote:Just guessing here---possibly the motor was intended to run on a lower voltage than 110 AC, which would explain the higher speed if you're plugged into standard house current.
Yes. Henry is correct. All the Victor Universal motors I've seen are intended to run at 32 volts (AC or DC). There should be some big resistors which are wired to step down the voltage from house current to what the motor needs. I would suggest checking the voltage that the motor is connected to. Perhaps the resistors are shot or missing. There is a section at the back of Baumbach's LFTD that briefly covers this motor.
Best regards ... AZ*

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

AZ* wrote:
Henry wrote:Just guessing here---possibly the motor was intended to run on a lower voltage than 110 AC, which would explain the higher speed if you're plugged into standard house current.
Yes. Henry is correct. All the Victor Universal motors I've seen are intended to run at 32 volts (AC or DC). There should be some big resistors which are wired to step down the voltage from house current to what the motor needs. I would suggest checking the voltage that the motor is connected to. Perhaps the resistors are shot or missing. There is a section at the back of Baumbach's LFTD that briefly covers this motor.
Gosh, sometimes a guy gets lucky.... Have to credit my background as a model railroader for knowing the voltage~speed relationship!

If the O/P doesn't care to do a full restoration with resistors, there are power supplies /transformers available that will enable 115 VAC (I said 110 in my post, that's wrong) to be stepped down to 32 VAC, which can be fed directly to the motor leads. You could even rectify the AC if you wanted to power with DC, which might be less "hummy" if that's a problem.

Disclaimer: Not really an electrician here, proceed with caution!