Eary Edison Gem Belt Tensioner Spring

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
MikeB
Victor II

Eary Edison Gem Belt Tensioner Spring

Post by MikeB »

I have been working on on early Edison Gem Branded Case Model A phonograph. The belt tensioner is loose and just flops around. I assume that these had a spring to keep the roller pressed against the outside of the belt. The base of the tensioner, on the inside, has a slot in it, which I assume fit some sort of spring. I don't have another Gem to compare this to. If there is a missing spring, does anyone know where it is supposed to go and what it looks like? I would need this part if anyone has one.

Thanks - Mike
Attachments
Edison Gem.jpg

BobMc
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Enjoying Life

Re: Eary Edison Gem Belt Tensioner Spring

Post by BobMc »

Have you hay success in finding the belt tensioner spring you need, ?if so where?
Do you have any photos of the repair?
I also own an early Gem branded case A but my problem seems to be a stiff arm
Tensioner, and stuck roller. I’m a little Leary of trying to clean it as it is in a hard to reach area.. Any advise would be appreciated. Bobmc

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Yes, I fixed it. I think that I snipped off a piece of alarm clock mainspring and bent it. I'll take a look at the machine later on and see if I can show my (amateur) repair.... ;)

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Okay, I did use an old mainspring. I tried a spring from a Big Ben alarm clock, but I think I ended up using an old pocket watch spring. I snipped off maybe an inch and I tried bending it into various "S" shapes, but it kept breaking, so I settled on this simple arc as shown, with one end going through the slot, and the other resting against the outer edge of the post. It is working for now. Not sure if it will stay, but so far, so good.

I'd remove the motor so you can get better access, then oil the inside of the tensioner roller, (but be careful not to get any oil on the belt or on the outside of the roller). Also oil the pin on the roller where the tensioner attaches, to make sure that it moves back and forth easily.
Attachments
IMG_9843.jpg
IMG_9833.jpg

BobMc
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Enjoying Life

Post by BobMc »

THANKYOU for posting the reply, the info and photos were great.
Just bought my gem, and not sure what I’m doing, but with people like you, and the
Talking machine forum, I’ll learn more. Thanks again, bobmc