paper ephermera preservation question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
andyjon100
Victor I

paper ephermera preservation question

Post by andyjon100 »

I hope this is the right forum for this question.....

I recently got a "SOLD" hang tag from a long gone local piano company / Victrola dealer for one of my Victrolas. The distance from the store to the house it was delivered to is .2 mile, literally diagonally across the block on the opposite corner :lol: ! Since it's going to be hanging front and center, and I'm sure people will want to look at it (and handle it to see the reverse side), is there any preferred preservation method? I thought of printing a copy, but there's just something about having an original hanging there....Any thoughts? Thanks!
Attachments
20200901_234448.jpg
20200901_234456.jpg

Victor VI

Re: paper ephermera preservation question

Post by 52089 »

Yes, make a color copy and put the original somewhere inside the machine, perhaps inside an acid free envelope.

I have a good friend who collects autographs and likes to show what he has. He only ever displays color copies of his collection. This way any sun damage, handling damage, or even theft only happens to a copy.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Spray both sides with artists UV resistant spray and it will be protected from sunlight. Krylon makes some that works well and if you get the matte finish type, you can't tell that it's been used... Obviously, don't get glossy clear spray... https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K01309-Co ... B004O7HTDQ
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

I like the spray idea! I jyst have to be sure it won't make the ink run....

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

It definitely won't make the ink run. The ink used on your hang tag was permanent. I have used Krylon on inkjet prints, which will run if dampened and it makes them permanent, no fading and no running.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Cool tag BTW Andy.

-Travis

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

52089 wrote:Yes, make a color copy and put the original somewhere inside the machine, perhaps inside an acid free envelope.

I have a good friend who collects autographs and likes to show what he has. He only ever displays color copies of his collection. This way any sun damage, handling damage, or even theft only happens to a copy.

BEST

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

andyjon100 wrote:I like the spray idea! I just have to be sure it won't make the ink run....
Don't go there ! It may not make the Ink run but you shouldn't ever treat anything unless it can be harmlessly reversed at a later date and this Krylon does anyone know what the long term affects might be ?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

soundgen wrote:
andyjon100 wrote:I like the spray idea! I just have to be sure it won't make the ink run....
Don't go there ! It may not make the Ink run but you shouldn't ever treat anything unless it can be harmlessly reversed at a later date and this Krylon does anyone know what the long term affects might be ?
Lets not get overly worried... It's made as a fixative for preserving art projects, I doubt that there is a negative effect... Personally, I have used this stuff on many paper items for at least 20 years with no problems...
Obviously, it's not reversible, but why would you want it to be, since it is a UV protectant??? Do what you want, use it or not who cares? Also, the hang tag is not some priceless art treasure or historical artifact...

My Wife

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

travisgreyfox wrote:Cool tag BTW Andy.

-Travis
Thanks Travis. I wanted it because I live close to Erion's Emslie and William St.factory building.....The factory building still stands on Emslie st. but the store front on William is gone. I'm going to use the fixative spray on the tag, after I make a quality scan of it. I'll probably never find another.
Attachments
ErionPiano.jpg
ErionPiano.jpg (49.32 KiB) Viewed 1666 times