Restoration and refinishing of a unique record cabinet

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Restoration and refinishing of a unique record cabinet

Post by nostalgia »

An amazing and fantastic job, with lots of patience and skill involved. The cabinet looks great ! Congratulations !

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I appreciate all the compliments. :D

This was a real test of my ability. If were not being kept, it would have been sold in its decrepit state. ;)

Since the pine dings easily and I dinged it several times while working on it, I wanted to make sure the finish was durable and flexible. I think I made a poor choice in applying marine spar varnish. I had a tough time keeping the surface even and bubble free. Naturally, the front of the door gave me fits and I finally accepted the indoor lighting results over the outside daylight. The rest of it fared much better.

My work will now be left for future collectors to deal with. :lol:
I'm happy having saved it, and now I can finally enjoy it!

Last night I made dividers for the drawer ...
Storage.1.JPG
Here are the cardboard trays ...
Storage.2.JPG
James.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

That is a work of art restoration. Unbelievable A lot of sweat and work went into that cabinet. Tom

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Here is my completed vision with a Standard B that was been upgraded to the max. :D
Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 7.29.17 PM.png
Thanks again for all of your interest and support!

James.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

WOW Tom

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

That is a most impressive display! Congratulations again to this beautiful cabinet and to your skillful restoration. The Standard is nothing to sneeze at either :)

Andreas

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

Wood cracks because it dries out. A 50/50 mix of linseed oil and white spirits can be used to soak into the wood. The white spirit carries the oil into the wood and then evaporates leaving the oil inside the wood. The oil then swells the wood back to its original dimension and the cracks close up. Then the oil polymerizes and turns into a kind of plastic. This stabilizes the wood ensuring that it will never crack again.

Roaring20s
Victor V

Post by Roaring20s »

Daithi wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:30 am Wood cracks because it dries out. A 50/50 mix of linseed oil and white spirits can be used to soak into the wood. The white spirit carries the oil into the wood and then evaporates leaving the oil inside the wood. The oil then swells the wood back to its original dimension and the cracks close up. Then the oil polymerizes and turns into a kind of plastic. This stabilizes the wood ensuring that it will never crack again.
I doubt I'll be taking on a project like this again. :lol:
But, that is interesting to know and others will see it and find it of use!
Thanks for adding that.

James.

PS: The Standard now resides in my office were it came from. It was decided to be a bit imposing in the living room, by my wife, and yielded without hesitation. She likes the way I decorate and there's no need to upset that apple cart! :rose:

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Nice job, James! Sure looks differently from when we first saw it in your garage!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan