Diaphragm protection insurance.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Diaphragm protection insurance.

Post by Orchorsol »

CarlosV wrote:I utilize a simpler but effective solution: a label protector from an old record cleaning machine. The record cleaner is long gone, but the protector got a new application. It is very light, made of hollow plastic with a rubber bottom, and acts as a stop against jettisoned tonearms. See the photo below:
That's a really helpful thought too, Carlos - many thanks. Somewhere I have an old LP record clamp/stabiliser which is lightweight and grips the spindle, and would serve a similar purpose - better and safer than my clumsy idea with the nasty cut-down record coasters!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

CarlosV wrote:I utilize a simpler but effective solution: a label protector from an old record cleaning machine. The record cleaner is long gone, but the protector got a new application. It is very light, made of hollow plastic with a rubber bottom, and acts as a stop against jettisoned tonearms. See the photo below:
A very imaginative and cost effective solution Carlos---excellent idea and many thanks for posting. When is your Patent Application due for approval ?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Thanks, Andy and Graham! No patents filed, I'm afraid. This particular label protector is handy, but record clamps can also be used as effectively, like Andy suggests. There are many for sale, with different weights. You don't need a heavy one just to act as a wall to stop the arm, but I also have one that is quite heavy, which I use to stabilize durium and similarly flimsy paper or plastic records - I bought it in a store that sells hi-fi gadgets. Some people like to play their LPs with weights on the record, to improve the reproduction.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

epigramophone wrote:A simple and elegant solution. I would expect no less from Graham.

I have always assumed that EMG and Expert never fitted any form of autobrake as such mechanisms can impose drag on the tonearm. The amount of drag may be very small, but EMG and Expert tonearms move so freely on their bearings that any drag would be noticeable.
Of course, now I want one on my EMG! Brilliant, Graham! As far as the autobrake, I first realized just how much drag is created when I first started using fiber needles. On my Victor Credenza, when the autobrake was engaged, the needle would not last one 10" record side. With the autobrake disengaged, it would play a 12" side all the way.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Here is an exploded view of the "click-clack" or "pop-up" mechanism :
Attachments
"Click-clack" mechanism.
"Click-clack" mechanism.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

Ingenious solution Graham! Very simple yet most effective. Love the idea of using a coaster or label protector as well, and shall do the same!

Although I don't (yet!) own an EMG soundbox, I do fear this sad fate for my humble Meltrope III. It may be easily replaced, but this one sounds lovely and I'd be gutted if it's damaged.