Graphite Powder is good for 78 records ?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Pertz
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victor, Edison, Columbia

Re: Graphite Powder is good for 78 records ?

Post by Pertz »

Using bamboo needles is clean way of playing your finer 78 records without causing damage.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Pertz wrote:Using bamboo needles is clean way of playing your finer 78 records without causing damage.
Yes and No

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20353

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

I agree with the above comments on Graphite Powder being "dirty" when used. When I use it the powder stains my fingers and it's difficult to wash off.

I imagine on a record it would definitely rub off onto the inside of the record sleeve, any record cleaner/duster, the platter mat, your hands and anything your fingers touch (eg. finger prints on the outside of record sleeves), etc.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Regarding the use of graphite POWDER-and not the fine flake graphite used from the puffer bottle for dry internal lubrication of locks. I used to make a 10 per cent strength of fine graphite powder mixed in beeswax OR carnauba wax. It was then a cleaner product to use, but I had to make sure the label did not receive any! After playing, wiping the excess off with disposable kitchen towel was the answer.
P.T.F.E. powder-I used to get it free from the testing laboratory at our local oil works, was a great lubricant, but never let it get near a naked flame or glowing wire, as the fumes released are very dangerous. I just applied a small amount and wiped in very carefully. with a small half inch paintbrush, and afterwards wiped the excess off carefully with a slightly damp duster.Probably classed as a dangerous product now-wow the things we used years ago!!