Missing soundbox needle screw - Advice Please

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
poodling around
Victor V

Missing soundbox needle screw - Advice Please

Post by poodling around »

I am refurbishing a soundbox (no identifying marks). I believe it was made in Germany.

I read on the internet that rust can be removed by soaking the part in vinegar - so (as per the photo below, I am soaking overnight.

It doesn't have a needle securing screw though.

I wonder, what do you do when faced with this problem ? I believe that there are many different screw threads.

So, is it possible to make one for example ?

Any tips or 'best option' advice would be really appreciated.
Attachments
hy2.jpg
hy2.jpg (201.74 KiB) Viewed 707 times
hy.jpg
hy.jpg (196.33 KiB) Viewed 707 times

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Missing soundbox needle screw - Advice Please

Post by Inigo »

What's I suggest you is to buy one of those lots of the thumb screws that our colleague soundgen, for instance, sells on eBay by a few dollars and then try to see if any of them will serve. if you are in the u.s. any other collector may sell to you one of those lots of varied screws... just an idea...
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

If you have a number of soundboxes, try the needle screws from each of them. If one of them fits, you will know which type you are looking for.

For rust removal Martin (nostalgia) recommended me to try Evapo-Rust, which I have done with excellent results.
Attachments
evapo-rust.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:51 pm What's I suggest you is to buy one of those lots of the thumb screws that our colleague soundgen, for instance, sells on eBay by a few dollars and then try to see if any of them will serve. if you are in the u.s. any other collector may sell to you one of those lots of varied screws... just an idea...
Thanks as always Inigo.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:38 am If you have a number of soundboxes, try the needle screws from each of them. If one of them fits, you will know which type you are looking for.

For rust removal Martin (nostalgia) recommended me to try Evapo-Rust, which I have done with excellent results.
Very interesting. I will try the other needle screws and 'look around' for Evapo-Rust'.

Thanks very much epigramophone.