What to Clean Amberola A, L & M Oxide Finish With?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

What to Clean Amberola A, L & M Oxide Finish With?

Post by JerryVan »

I recently picked up a couple Amberola reproducers, (A & M). They've both sat around for probably 75 years or more and are pretty dull and dingy. However, aside from some very small areas of corrosion, there seems to be a "shine" hiding beneath the dull film. I tried some Fantastik, which removed a bit of dirt, but not what I'm hoping for. Is the dull finish just an oxidized layer of shellac or lacquer? If so, maybe alcohol or lacquer thinner to remove it? Then maybe wax? I sure don't want to use anything abrasive for fear of instantly ruining the oxide finish. So, want has worked well for all of you with shiny Amberolas & Operas? Thanks!!

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Re: What to Clean Amberola A, L & M Oxide Finish With?

Post by Canuk Phonographs »

HI Jerry,
I use a product called Flitz. It is a non abrasive oxide remover. I have done both the model L and M reproducers with this product as well as other oxidized Berliner and Victor finishes. Just go very slowly and carefully only using clean cotton rags. The original black oxide had a sealer finish and you don't want to break through that, so go slowly.
Also use the same product to remove the oxidized surface on paint, like the Victor brass bell horns. Again, just go slowly and only use clean cotton rags and you will be amazed at how some of the horns come back to their former glory with out having to repaint.
Regards,
Blain

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: What to Clean Amberola A, L & M Oxide Finish With?

Post by JerryVan »

Thanks Blain!