Victor elbow modification (?)

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
oliver
Victor I

Victor elbow modification (?)

Post by oliver »

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone ever tried adapting a flanged Victor II horn elbow to a slip in bracket? I'm thinking there might be a way to do this by having some kind of sleeve or fitting made. If a member here has experience with this, I would appreciate some insights.

Purists will hate me and I understand. I normally would not consider such a thing... but due to the slip-in elbow being unobtainable and the general condition of the machine, I think it's alright.

Thanks,

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Victor elbow modification (?)

Post by phonogfp »

I would hope that no purists would hate you for considering this. It's not a good idea to convert original parts to something they never were, but we'd all be better served to offer suggestions rather than criticism or hate.

I'd recommend buying one of the excellent reproduction elbows readily available, and modifying the reproduction rather than an original. If you have no use for the original, it could be sold - probably for more than the cost of the reproduction.

Best of luck,
George P.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Thank you George and agreed! Using a reproduction elbow is what I have in mind. And since the flange looks fine on top of the slip in bracket, the flange wouldn't even need to be shaved off. I spent a good part of the day going to hardware stores but could not come up with any fitting, or piece of tubing in the correct diameter.

I think having a fitting made by a machine shop will likely be the only option.

Thank you and best regards,
Oliver

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Measure the I.D. of both the bracket and the elbow. If they are both the same, then you're in luck. If not, use the smaller diameter and search online for a piece of brass or copper tubing (or whatever) that matches (preferably the elbow). Cut a piece to the correct length and insert it. If the fit is sloppy, use a piece of electrical tape as a shim or something else you might have on hand. The tape won't show since its inserted with the tubing. Not exactly the same as finding an original part, but it should work without having to have something machined, since you are trying to make do without modifying the parts...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Thanks Curt. I measured both pieces and it looks like the I. D. of the bracket is about 1/16" larger than the I. D. of the elbow. I think having something machined will likely be the only way to go.
Regards,
Oliver

Curt A wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:50 pm Measure the I.D. of both the bracket and the elbow. If they are both the same, then you're in luck. If not, use the smaller diameter and search online for a piece of brass or copper tubing (or whatever) that matches (preferably the elbow). Cut a piece to the correct length and insert it. If the fit is sloppy, use a piece of electrical tape as a shim or something else you might have on hand. The tape won't show since its inserted with the tubing. Not exactly the same as finding an original part, but it should work without having to have something machined, since you are trying to make do without modifying the parts...

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Ron Sitko sells an accurate reproduction Victor II elbow. His contact information is in the "Links" section of our Forum. Some parts suppliers are still offering an aluminum replica elbow. I was going to suggest that you stay away from those but maybe it would be a good candidate for modification. What do others think?

Jerry B.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Machine shop owner quoted an astronomical price to make an adapter. I may look for a good welder instead. As I was trying various things for fit and and strength, I concluded for now that 2 short sockets (15/16" and 1 ⅛") once hollowed out and welded together might do the trick without any modification to the elbow. Metal tape on both ends of the adapter would take up the small gaps.

This idea is only in the embryonic stage as I continue looking for more options but I will post an update when I get this accomplished :o (it will be a while). Thank you all for your good comments and suggestions.
Oliver

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Here is some 15/16" brass tubing, which could be inserted into the elbow...
https://www.amazon.com/Small-Parts-Bras ... B07HCQQBLL
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Curt A wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:51 pm Here is some 15/16" brass tubing, which could be inserted into the elbow...
https://www.amazon.com/Small-Parts-Bras ... B07HCQQBLL
Thanks Curt. I always appreciate the good tips!
Oliver

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Hi All,

The previous ideas were scrapped :o

I just ordered this copper reducer coupling and will experiment with it once received. It may need to be shortened a tiny bit but its OD's at both ends come close to the required measurements. Thinking thin bronze shimming stock should help provide smooth swivel action on bracket side...we'll see...
I'll update in a week or two.

Regards,

Oliver
Attachments
20130-2.jpg
20130-2.jpg (12.48 KiB) Viewed 1416 times