Edison Standard brake lever

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Edison Standard brake lever

Post by Canuk Phonographs »

The brake lever does not hold the brake. I tighten the screw in the middle of the brake lever but after using the brake lever a few times, the action of the brake lever loosens the holding screw.
IS there a lock washer missing or am I missing something?
Appreciate your help.
Blain

IMG_6160.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Edison Standard brake lever

Post by JerryVan »

Blain,

Do I see a screw hiding behind the arm, that's meant to lock the pivot screw into position?

I usually bend the section of the arm above the pivot just a bit so it rubs on the little detent nub on the motor casting in order keep it in place. In other words, I don't depend on the semi-tightened screw alone to create the drag.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks for the hint. I have been opening the case and tighting that screw. I think another lock washer may help. Tom

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

HI Jerry,
That's what Dave said too, but the screw behind the lever only locks the governor pad shaft in place. It is too far back to tighten onto the brake lever screw. I think I will try a bit of plumbers teflon tape on the screw threads to help hold the screw tightly. No harm until I learn how to fix properly.
Blain

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Although it has been some time since I fought this battle, I believe that friction with the bump molded into the motor frame casting is what does the trick. You don't want to tighten down the lever so much to make it hard to throw as much as it needs to interfere slightly with that bump to hold it against the governor. Some careful bending of the lever should do the trick. I've just checked a few of my machines and see that none of them has a washer in that position. Good luck, I'm sure you'll finally get it to behave.

Regards,
Martin

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Thanks for every ones help. I carefully flattened the lever and put a slight bend on it so that I had lots of contact against the cast iron.
But the screw was still loose as the brass rod threads that held the screw were worn. I wrapped a piece of plumbers Teflon tape (⅛ X 2”) around the screw thread and then reassembled the brake lever. The tape stopped the screw from backing out every time I used the lever.
Thanks again for all the comments.
Blain

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Blain,

If it gives you trouble again, maybe try a little bit longer screw. There may be a few good threads left at the bottom of the hole.