Restoring a Spring - 'Take 2'

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Restoring a Spring - 'Take 2'

Post by JerryVan »

This is all excellent news! Very happy for you that it worked out! :D

Working on springs does not have to be dangerous, as long as you respect them, go slow & stay in control of them.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

JerryVan wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:28 pm This is all excellent news! Very happy for you that it worked out! :D

Working on springs does not have to be dangerous, as long as you respect them, go slow & stay in control of them.
Thanks VERY much JerryVan.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice! But the brow handle... Isn't it too thick?
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:40 pm Nice! But the brow handle... Isn't it too thick?
You are absolutely right. It managed to do the job okay but next time I will use a thinner one.

Having removed and re-stuffed the spring back in 5 times the novelty has worn off for the time being .......... and next I need to repair my red HMV 101.

Thanks Inigo.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Wow, I think you are more determined than most, nice work!

I think if I were to have to work on the inner portion of the spring (the part that is difficult to get to as you found, also difficult to clean if doing it by hand) I would try recoiling the spring starting from the outer end, just re-wrap it so that the outer becomes the inner. It might be tough to do as it's at a much greater bend by time you get to the inner portion but it would allow you to work on the inner portion of the spring without it being surrounded by 8 feet of metal strapping that has a mind of its own. Might not even work but just a thought.

poodling around
Victor V

Dischoard wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:37 pm Wow, I think you are more determined than most, nice work!

I think if I were to have to work on the inner portion of the spring (the part that is difficult to get to as you found, also difficult to clean if doing it by hand) I would try recoiling the spring starting from the outer end, just re-wrap it so that the outer becomes the inner. It might be tough to do as it's at a much greater bend by time you get to the inner portion but it would allow you to work on the inner portion of the spring without it being surrounded by 8 feet of metal strapping that has a mind of its own. Might not even work but just a thought.
Thanks VERY much Dischoard !

A very interesting suggestion indeed. I have three or four more gramophones with springs which need repairing so I will try your idea. (Although I really hope that they are broken at the 'outer end' or just dis-connected.)