Columbia "1911" Reproducer repair

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
doublemike
Victor I

Columbia "1911" Reproducer repair

Post by doublemike »

Hello, friends!

My Columbia Reproducer (a "1911" model, as attached picture and photos shows) needs to be restored because started to sound "metallic" and much disturbing: often sounds higher than horn! How can I fix/restore it? I don't have any skill (I don't know, for example, how could it be opened; only thing I know is how detach it from bracket). Is there a tutorial or some tricks to give me?

Thanks a lot.

Michele, from southern Italy.
Attachments
This picture from http://grammophon-platten.de
This picture from http://grammophon-platten.de
Front view
Front view
Rear view
Rear view
Victor Monarch, Columbia BK, Columbia BNW, Zonophone model 3, HMV 130

doublemike
Victor I

Re: Columbia "1911" Reproducer repair

Post by doublemike »

Nobody helps me?

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

I would try posting it in --- machines I think more people would see it and maybe more helpful. Good Luck

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Michele,
That reproducer is not common in the US, but one thing is certain - if someone put it together, it can be taken apart to repair. The biggest clue to its disassembly in my mind is the knurled outer edge of the body. It appears to be there for getting a grip to maybe unscrew two halves of the body. This is just my speculation, since I can't physically hold it. Try to look for clues, like separations or lines that indicate how it was originally assembled... Does the needle bar need to be removed to open it? I hope this helps, but I have never seen this reproducer in person. The face plate that covers the diaphragm definitely has to be removed to replace the diaphragm... Does it screw on and off or is it just pressed in place and needs to carefully be pried off? Those are my ideas for what they are worth. The little hole by the arrow in the picture may be a "pry hole" to insert a small pick to lift it off.

Good luck.
Curt
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.28.08 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

doublemike
Victor I

Post by doublemike »

Curt A wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:22 pm ...one thing is certain - if someone put it together, it can be taken apart to repair...
The little hole by the arrow in the picture may be a "pry hole" to insert a small pick to lift it off.
This was very helpful! I tried to insert a small pick into that hole and "magically" a ring (cyan in photo) splashed away from reproducer. In this way the metallic cover can be separate from soundbox. Thanks a lot!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.28.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.28.08 PM.png (278.97 KiB) Viewed 822 times