Victrola 4-spring tear down, clean, and rebuild

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Victrola 4-spring tear down, clean, and rebuild

Post by Dischoard »

Good morning folks,

So I spent the better part of my weekend working on my Victor Victrola VV-400. I've had it for about 20 years since I was in college and noticed that it had developed a little thump and so it has sat pretty much unused for about 5 or 10 years. I've recently gotten back in to my phonograph collection and organizing my collection of 78s and figured it would be a good time to take care of the thump and get her back to running properly.

I noticed that there was no real detailed breakdown of how to do one of these on YouTube and I've learned SO much from YouTube over the years from car and motorcycle repair to jukebox repair, electrical, mechanical, et al, that I decided I should return the favor. I'm no expert at this and there may be some who watch my video as a what-not-to-do but hey, I learn just as much from those. ;)

This is in 3 parts and they get longer as they go. The first video is only 8 minutes and is the removal of the barrels, the second video is the removal and cleaning of the springs clocking in at only 12 minutes or so, and the third video (and the longest at 21 minutes) is repacking, greasing, and assembling the motor with some of the aftermath shots. Video 1 of the series can be found here:

https://youtu.be/LMeHjYqwXv4

A few things I learned whilst putting together this video: 1. It is a much slower process when you are setting up a camera and filming each step. 2. When I am working I have a hard time finding the right words and edited out SO much empty space as I tried to think and work at the same time (and not well) and 3. No matter what you do and what you do well, the first comment on any video is usually about whatever it was you did wrong :lol:

Case in point. First comment on the video (though since removed by whoever wrote it) was "sounds like your reproducer needs rebuilding". 40 minutes of video and that was the first comment. I love it. The funny thing is, the reproducer (at least on the first tune) had been rebuilt with new gaskets, mica and beeswax over the screw. The needle had been aligned and much work had been done. Maybe he was accustomed to listening to a Credenza?

I hope someone gets some use out of it and any (constructive) comments are welcome! If you end up watching it and I've done something egregious let me know and I'll make annotations over the video in order to warn others. Cheers!

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Victrola 4-spring tear down, clean, and rebuild

Post by poodling around »

Dischoard wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:13 am Good morning folks,

So I spent the better part of my weekend working on my Victor Victrola VV-400. I've had it for about 20 years since I was in college and noticed that it had developed a little thump and so it has sat pretty much unused for about 5 or 10 years. I've recently gotten back in to my phonograph collection and organizing my collection of 78s and figured it would be a good time to take care of the thump and get her back to running properly.

I noticed that there was no real detailed breakdown of how to do one of these on YouTube and I've learned SO much from YouTube over the years from car and motorcycle repair to jukebox repair, electrical, mechanical, et al, that I decided I should return the favor. I'm no expert at this and there may be some who watch my video as a what-not-to-do but hey, I learn just as much from those. ;)

This is in 3 parts and they get longer as they go. The first video is only 8 minutes and is the removal of the barrels, the second video is the removal and cleaning of the springs clocking in at only 12 minutes or so, and the third video (and the longest at 21 minutes) is repacking, greasing, and assembling the motor with some of the aftermath shots. Video 1 of the series can be found here:

https://youtu.be/LMeHjYqwXv4

A few things I learned whilst putting together this video: 1. It is a much slower process when you are setting up a camera and filming each step. 2. When I am working I have a hard time finding the right words and edited out SO much empty space as I tried to think and work at the same time (and not well) and 3. No matter what you do and what you do well, the first comment on any video is usually about whatever it was you did wrong :lol:

Case in point. First comment on the video (though since removed by whoever wrote it) was "sounds like your reproducer needs rebuilding". 40 minutes of video and that was the first comment. I love it. The funny thing is, the reproducer (at least on the first tune) had been rebuilt with new gaskets, mica and beeswax over the screw. The needle had been aligned and much work had been done. Maybe he was accustomed to listening to a Credenza?

I hope someone gets some use out of it and any (constructive) comments are welcome! If you end up watching it and I've done something egregious let me know and I'll make annotations over the video in order to warn others. Cheers!
Very good indeed, I think.

I particularly liked the way you mentioned the importance of removing the tension from the springs and removing the winding handle. The first time I tried to remove a motor board I didn't know this and it took me ages to find out what was wrong !

Very good use of video too I thought. Panning in and out to all the right places and bits. Nicely done - how-ever you did it.

It also reminds me that I need to buy some 'small end' flat head screw-drivers !

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

Thanks, certainly appreciated :)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice and illustrative videos, thanks. I've enjoyed them very much, if only because I do 99% of the same!
It's clear that we gramophonists are indeed strange animals, but all the same! :D
Inigo

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

Thank goodness for the internet right? At least we know we're not alone ;)

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Very nice. Now for the dirty part! ;)

James.

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

Yeah that's in part II. That was the worst part and a slightly longer video!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

They weren't so long at all. You ran faster the camera in the long spring parts! I've seen them three and found them funny and illustrative
Inigo