Rub 'n Buff Wax Metallic Finish

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Gatyam
Victor I

Rub 'n Buff Wax Metallic Finish

Post by Gatyam »

Hello, all. I seem to recall someone mentioning that they used the subject product to touch up the gold plating on Victor parts. I'd like to try it on a worn gold Exhibition reproducer, but it appears that the stuff comes in several shades of gold. Could someone opine as to the shade that best matches?

Thank you in advance.

Gatyam

stetam
Victor II

Re: Rub 'n Buff Wax Metallic Finish

Post by stetam »

Following

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Sorry, I don't have a direct answer. However, I would buy a few different shades and see what matches my project the best. Maybe you can even mix them for best effect?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I bought both Antique Gold and Gold Leaf since they are cheap enough. I found Gold Leaf too shiny for my use case and ended up using Antique Gold. Your results may vary.

Andreas

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Once you have gotten the color where you want it, use Deft spray or Renaissance Wax to seal. I prefer the Deft and use both semi gloss and gloss-though I like the look in most cases of the semi gloss. By using the deft you can build layers and depth of finish and come up with a pretty good look to metal plating. And by sealing it it can be made pretty durable.

Abe

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

alang wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:34 am I bought both Antique Gold and Gold Leaf since they are cheap enough. I found Gold Leaf too shiny for my use case and ended up using Antique Gold. Your results may vary.

Andreas
Andreas, was it used as a touch-up or complete redo and do you have pictures of the results?

Stetam

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Just a touch up to make a crank look better. Sorry, no pictures I'm afraid. Just try it out, it's easily reversible. It's not going to compete with gold plating of course, but it makes worn areas blend in much better.

Andreas