Rebuilding Credenza hydraulic lid support

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
stetam
Victor II

Rebuilding Credenza hydraulic lid support

Post by stetam »

This is for anyone that has rebuilt pneumatic lid supports before. I have watched the YouTube videos and it's not difficult to do but saw 2 different ways of reinstalling the leather gasket. In one, the leather gasket was just stretched and in the other video the leather was turned inside out. From experience, which would be the better method to restore proper dampening of the lid? And I assume light oiling of the cylinder is a key.

Stetam

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Rebuilding Credenza hydraulic lid support

Post by JerryVan »

stetam wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:07 am This is for anyone that has rebuilt pneumatic lid supports before. I have watched the YouTube videos and it's not difficult to do but saw 2 different ways of reinstalling the leather gasket. In one, the leather gasket was just stretched and in the other video the leather was turned inside out. From experience, which would be the better method to restore proper dampening of the lid? And I assume light oiling of the cylinder is a key.

Stetam

I don't recall exactly what technique I used. However, I'm not sure that all leathers would stand for being turned inside out. What I did do, was soak the leathers in a solvent, (lacquer thinner?), let them dry completely, then soak them in oil. It worked fantastic! The process was shown in a YouTube video.

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

JerryVan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:51 am
stetam wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:07 am This is for anyone that has rebuilt pneumatic lid supports before. I have watched the YouTube videos and it's not difficult to do but saw 2 different ways of reinstalling the leather gasket. In one, the leather gasket was just stretched and in the other video the leather was turned inside out. From experience, which would be the better method to restore proper dampening of the lid? And I assume light oiling of the cylinder is a key.

Stetam

I don't recall exactly what technique I used. However, I'm not sure that all leathers would stand for being turned inside out. What I did do, was soak the leathers in a solvent, (lacquer thinner?), let them dry completely, then soak them in oil. It worked fantastic! The process was shown in a YouTube video.
Thanks will give it a go

Stetam

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

This is the video I followed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKHdzIL0mLU

I really don't think I inverted them however, as he suggests.

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

Just did as the video showed and they are back together and working fine. Thanks JerryVan

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

stetam wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:21 pm Just did as the video showed and they are back together and working fine. Thanks JerryVan
Great news! You're welcome!

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

When I re-did my hydraulic support on my VV 400 (that machine has only one as the lid is much less substantial) I just softened up the leather with my fingers and gave it a light oil coating on the outside. That was a year ago and it's still working strong. My kids like to just lift the lid then push it back down again. They'll get bored of that soon ;)

So when I got my Credenza I did the same for both supports. Works like a dream. I'll have to see how long that goes for though!

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Long before the Internet, Social media, chat rooms, expert opinions and YouTube, Victor provided substantial support to their dealers.

Here is the service bulletin regarding the air supports used on the Credenza and other large Orthophonics and Electrolas.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49533

Mark

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

MarkELynch wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:29 am Long before the Internet, Social media, chat rooms, expert opinions and YouTube, Victor provided substantial support to their dealers.

Here is the service bulletin regarding the air supports used on the Credenza and other large Orthophonics and Electrolas.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49533

Mark
About a gazillion years ago when I first started getting into the phono hobby, an old-timer told me to use neatsfoot oil on the dashpot leathers. Glad to see the Victor service bulletin supported that.

Although I'm sure many would argue modern synthetic stuff is better.