DIY glass diaphragms on a budget

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Ahmed
Victor I

Re: DIY glass diaphragms on a budget

Post by Ahmed »

jamiegramo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:34 am A good tip, thanks Ahmed. Some of the glass diaphragms I ordered from Germany got broken. So I will give it ago especially at the price. :D

I also have a small glass circle cutter I can try.

I found 4 x 0.2mm sheets at £1.49 ‘including’ postage. Here’s the link for anyone else in Britain, unless you found cheaper? :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-2MM-4x-Gen ... 2749.l2649
Oooh, I'd love to try a proper circle cutter instead of my very DIY method!

These happen to be the exact ones I've been playing with. Cheap and cheerful; if they all snap, no harm done!

All the best with it, let us know how you get on!

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Ahmed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:03 am
jamiegramo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:34 am A good tip, thanks Ahmed. Some of the glass diaphragms I ordered from Germany got broken. So I will give it ago especially at the price. :D

I also have a small glass circle cutter I can try.

I found 4 x 0.2mm sheets at £1.49 ‘including’ postage. Here’s the link for anyone else in Britain, unless you found cheaper? :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-2MM-4x-Gen ... 2749.l2649
Oooh, I'd love to try a proper circle cutter instead of my very DIY method!

These happen to be the exact ones I've been playing with. Cheap and cheerful; if they all snap, no harm done!

All the best with it, let us know how you get on!
Very interesting and thanks for all the info. I have been experimenting with making diaphragms out of a variety of materials. I have just turned up a plastic one on my lathe, here is a short video of the process. I think a glass one would be very much worth me trying too. Thanks again, mrrgstuff :D
https://youtu.be/BSfWrBLuN_M

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Lots of great info in here, thanks for posting it!

I do a lot of lab work, which uses borosilicate glass (Pyrex). This glass can be heated with a torch, stretched and cooled without breaking, maybe even rolled out(?). Also, diamond bits for rotary tools are inexpensive and cut glass like butter (but need to be used with water).

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

donniej wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:04 pm ... Also, diamond bits for rotary tools are inexpensive and cut glass like butter (but need to be used with water).
Lovely! I'll try that for drilling in holes to fix the needle arm instead of using glue