Advice on fixing drive gear

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Nipper123
Victor O
Personal Text: Hello

Advice on fixing drive gear

Post by Nipper123 »

Hello,

In a previous thread, I mentioned that I had a bent and heavily worn drive gear, I have fixed this issue by purchasing a new gear but I have come across another issue. Some of the teeth on the new drive gear don't mesh very well with the spindle shaft. The motor runs for a little bit but when it reaches a certain section of teeth, the motor abruptly stops and is there is a lot less play in the motor. Is there any way to fix this issue?

Thank you
Attachments
20210423_162353.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Advice on fixing drive gear

Post by Inigo »

You should check the alignment between the bull gear and the spindle all the way around.. Maybe the new gear is neither properly aligned! Although these Burton motors shouldn't give many problems. Check if the new gear is true all around... The teeth seem to have some dirt in between... Or is it the grease?
Inigo

Nipper123
Victor O

Post by Nipper123 »

Thank you for the reply,

After checking the motor, I noticed the gear that connects to the spindle shaft was loose and out of alignment. I am starting the process of cleaning and re-adjusting the motor which I assume should fix the problem.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Mark the section where the bind occurs, then inspect each gear tooth very carefully for even the tiniest nick or bent tooth.

Nipper123
Victor O

Post by Nipper123 »

Hello,

This morning I reassembled and adjusted the motor and I am still having the same problem. Is there any way I could fix the gear? I attached some pictures of the section of teeth that do not mesh well.

Thank you,
Attachments
20210424_102111.jpg
20210424_102046.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

A small flat file might straighten or fix the meshing problem.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Yes, it does look as if the gear hasn't been made well, and all teeth are not even. The gears where it stops appear to need a bigger gap.
I would accurately trace the outline of the gear where it runs well onto tracing paper, and then overlay where it stops so you can use that as a guide to accurately file the teeth to the correct size.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

The bull gear looks to me like it is meshing rather low on the spindle. It seems to me that something is not in proper alignment but I will need to look at one of my motors to see for sure. I will post a follow up comment later today.

Jim

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

the large gear is clearly damaged by probably being dropped on a hard surface , you need a set of needle files to remove the damage , also I am always amazed that anyone expects these gears to run with a complete lack of lubricating grease !

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

soundgen wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:30 pm the large gear is clearly damaged by probably being dropped on a hard surface , you need a set of needle files to remove the damage
Agreed completely. Approximately 4 or 5 teeth appear to have been "mashed". As Soundgen suggests, those teeth need to be carefully filed to bring their profile and thickness back to that of the other, non-damaged, teeth. It may take some repetition to get it right. Don't get too carried away with your filing. ;)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.75 KiB) Viewed 1068 times