Advice on felt and metal ring placement, DD motor

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Madhatcher
Victor Jr

Advice on felt and metal ring placement, DD motor

Post by Madhatcher »

This is how they were stacked inside the spring motor case with the paper laid over them, pressed against the lid that arbor goes through. The gear train did not turn freely and the inner spring was disconnected from the arbor.

From a BC-34 Diamond Disc circa 1924.
20210429_105619.jpg
20210429_105607.jpg

Victor VI

Re: Advice on felt and metal ring placement, DD motor

Post by 52089 »

My advice would be to scrap it and just get a good spring and barrel from someone's parts stock. Otherwise, send it out for repair. You really don't want to do Diamond Disc springs yourself unless you're particularly strong.

Madhatcher
Victor Jr

Post by Madhatcher »

I'm trying to overhaul the machine because I enjoy doing it along with the learning experience. It would be most satisfying if I could get it running with sound using minimum of new parts and outsourcing as a start.

If anyone has seen the felt and/or metal ring in spring motor rebuilds I would appreciate any tips or even educated guesses. Having the felt inside where the coil may bind up against the lid of the spring case seems odd to me and it would help if anyone can explain this system.

Disclaimer: I have watched videos on techniques for recoiling the motors including the diamond disc and want to go forward being aware of the hazards and work involved. Since strenuous physical labor and severe safety hazards and intensive safety training have been part of my work history I know to be cautious at the same time.
Getting close to reassembly
Getting close to reassembly

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

It's not like I've done dozens of the DD spring installations, but I've done a few and have never seen the hard fiber discs used before. My inclination would be to just leave them out. I've never seen such a thing done in any phonograph motor and can't imagine the benefit of using them.

Is your spring damaged?