Noisy Victor 8-35 lid springs

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
vichighmathguy
Victor O

Noisy Victor 8-35 lid springs

Post by vichighmathguy »

Hello,
My VE 8-36 has noisy lid springs. Has anyone successfully quietened them down? Oiling or spraying with silicone spray are both options, but before covering the lid springs with something that may just become a dust magnet, I thought it timely to ask what others might have done about this.
Thanks for your input :-)
Don

MarkELynch
Victor II

Re: Noisy Victor 8-35 lid springs

Post by MarkELynch »

Here is the Victor Service Bulletin about you 8-35’s balance springs. See section 3 about applying grease to the friction discs. This should take care of the noise.

Mark
274E15E6-C72F-4E05-88B8-F9093707A7D2.jpeg
A4DF4B75-4B9A-4233-80DF-DE60EADC4546.jpeg
88E14AB8-4F81-43D8-AD1D-3113284AC7D2.jpeg
0938EBAD-D3A6-4CB8-875B-46564A0673D5.jpeg

vichighmathguy
Victor O

Post by vichighmathguy »

Thank you so much! I'll take a look at this tomorrow - and looking forward to it!
Don

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

I didn't know the 8-35 used that type of closer. I imagine at this point it sounds like when you pull out a folding bed from a sleeper sofa? It makes me appreciate the mech on the 8-30!

vichighmathguy
Victor O

Post by vichighmathguy »

MarkELynch wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:53 pm Here is the Victor Service Bulletin about you 8-35’s balance springs. See section 3 about applying grease to the friction discs. This should take care of the noise.

Mark
Thanks, Mark. That cleared up the issue of noisy springs quite nicely. The pages you posted looked very interesting and I would love to see the others. I don't suppose this is online anywhere, or perhaps you could tell me the title on the first page of the document and I can look into that myself.

Again, thank you!

Don

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Don,

I’m glad that service bulletin helped. Victor released these single bulletins in loose leaf form and instructed the dealer to place them in a Lefax binder. The Lefax binders contain multiple split rings, hence the series of holes you see in the photos. As new bulletins appeared or updated versions the dealer could add these or update the ones in his binder. Notice the date in the top right corner on the first page and the printing date on the last page.

A number of these bulletins are reproduced in Bob Baumbach’s “Look for the Dog” book. Everyone should own a copy, do you have one? They have not been published in any other form as far as I know.

Mark

vichighmathguy
Victor O

Post by vichighmathguy »

MarkELynch wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:10 pm Don,

I’m glad that service bulletin helped. Victor released these single bulletins in loose leaf form and instructed the dealer to place them in a Lefax binder. The Lefax binders contain multiple split rings, hence the series of holes you see in the photos. As new bulletins appeared or updated versions the dealer could add these or update the ones in his binder. Notice the date in the top right corner on the first page and the printing date on the last page.

A number of these bulletins are reproduced in Bob Baumbach’s “Look for the Dog” book. Everyone should own a copy, do you have one? They have not been published in any other form as far as I know.

Mark
Yes, I had noticed the date, and thank you for explaining the series of bulletins. I would so love to have a set! Yes, I do have "Look for the Dog" and referred to articles periodically (sorry for the pun) as I worked my way through the motor and currently the reproducer. When you need something a little out of the ordinary, I really understand what island living in a foreign (Canada) country is like. A simple thing like Permatex Indian Head Shellac Gasket Compound is virtually nonexistent here on the west coast. Cheap and easy to come by south of the border, but a pain in the rump to get a bottle in one's hand up here. I want to touch up the spider/diaphragm contact points with something that is reversible and consistent with what was done originally. Sigh. A weekend project can take months to complete. A second example: I wish to use softer O-rings before assembling the end caps over the needle arm fulcrums. Not available up here, so I had some sent to a friend in WA who will drop them in the mail for me. The challenges are not always related to engineering. Sigh.