Stumbled onto an External Horn Disc Graphophone and Need Advice

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Stumbled onto an External Horn Disc Graphophone and Need Advice

Post by Granby »

During a recent quest for an off brand, the seller also mentioned he had another machine he wanted to sell. I was excited when I rounded the corner into another room and saw this! We mutually agreed on a price and I was able to bring this Disc Graphophone home. There is hope! There are some external horn disc machines still out there.... waiting to be found. Not many.... but some.... ;)

On a serious note, since I normally deal with $100 - $200 off brands, I am a little intimidated by this... :shock: I have lightly dusted it but am scared to go further. Will the non-pumice goop work on the cabinet AND the metal components? How about the horn? I love the patina on this thing and don't want to risk messing it up. I like 'em old and as original as possible. I guess I need to track down an original reproducer. I hope that task doesn't prove to be as daunting as locating an original Harmony/Aretino/Busy Bee sound box.... :?

Are there any previous threads on this topic of cleaning a horn and metal components? Take care and have a great weekend!!!

Thanks!!
Attachments
Graphophone Rear 04.25.21.jpg
Disc Graphophone 04.25.21.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Stumbled onto an External Horn Disc Graphophone and Need Advice

Post by Lucius1958 »

Nice BI! Non-pumice Goop certainly can't hurt the nickel; and it might help.

I don't know how hard "Analyzing" reproducers are to find, but they can't be that extremely rare...

- Bill

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Lovely machine, Congratulations! It looks very nice in its original state; they always look very appealing in untouched condition.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

very nice! I cleaned my Bi with lots of non pumice gojo and it looks great. The brass handle on the side looks really sharp when polished. The nickel on the bracket and tonearm looks pretty rough.. but who knows, maybe it will look nice when all polished up. The decal on the side looks rough.. how does the graphophone decal look?

My only piece of advice is to be careful with the fiber gear on the spindle. I took my motor apart to clean and re-grease it and I ended up messing up the teeth on the fiber gear. I have to order a new one now :lol: :cry: .

I do not know how hard the reproducer will be to find.. but there is a rubber isolator that goes between the tonearm and the reproducer. I am not sure where you can get a new one... the replacement I received from Ron was not the one under discussion on the machine board.

Good luck with it

David

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I bought a junker BI and will be selling parts including the reproducer. Anyone need other parts?

Jerry Blais

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Jerry B. wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:44 pm I bought a junker BI and will be selling parts including the reproducer. Anyone need other parts?

Jerry Blais
Jerry I sent you a text

David

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Jerry, yes, I am in the market for a reproducer. If you would be so kind, shoot me a PM with price, details about condition, etc. Thanks!!! - Chris