Cleaning Up Some Extreme Tarnish/Grease on Nickel Graphophone Horn?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Cleaning Up Some Extreme Tarnish/Grease on Nickel Graphophone Horn?

Post by Granby »

Hey everybody - I did as recommended by some fellow forum members and have cleaned the horn on my Columbia Disc Graphophone with some non pumice cleaner and it appears most of the dust and dirt is gone. The nickel is definitely shinier and more presentable that it appeared when I first found it... However, the cleaner did not touch some of the "discolorations" that I thought were grease drips...

If some fellow collectors would be kind enough to glance at these pictures... What do you think? Is that tarnish or grease? What brand chemical/cleaner is safe to try and get it off of the nickel? Or, should I just chill out before I do any damage... :shock:

Okay - no more questions.... :lol: I hope everybody had a nice weekend! - Chris
Attachments
Horn Inside.jpg
Horn Outside.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Cleaning Up Some Extreme Tarnish/Grease on Nickel Graphophone Horn?

Post by JerryVan »

Try some paint thinner, or maybe lacquer thinner, on those spots. They look like spills of ????

Then try polishing the horn with Simichrome. Simichrome is excellent for polishing delicate or thin plating that other, more aggressive polishes, tend to remove.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

When I tried to clean my nickel plated Columbia horn, I had the same problem, which apparently was some type of original clear coat to protect the finish. I ended up using some paint stripper - maybe Citri-Strip, and it finally came off.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Cool deal.... appreciate the input! - Chris

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

To my eye, the inside of the horn looks like hints of brass are peaking through. If that's true, you can polish the horn but the brass will always be there. The horn was brass plated before it was nickel plated. The outside of the horn looks like it would benefit from a good polish. Once everything is cleaned and polished I would love it for what it is, a horn that's survived well over one hundred years.

Has anyone had success re-nickeling a horn like this? Years ago a friend had one re-plated and the plater could not polish down the throat of the horn. In my opinion, the end result was less than if he'd left it alone in original condition. I'd value and appreciate other opinions and experiences.

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry B. wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:55 am The horn was brass plated before it was nickel plated.

Has anyone had success re-nickeling a horn like this? Years ago a friend had one re-plated and the plater could not polish down the throat of the horn. In my opinion, the end result was less than if he'd left it alone in original condition. I'd value and appreciate other opinions and experiences.

Jerry B.
The horns were not brass plated first. They're made of brass, then just nickel plated.

Plating a horn requires special fixturing in order to plate deep into the throat. The electrons do not turn corners and travel into isolated areas. They travel in straight lines. An electrode, located in the throat of the horn, would be needed. Small bare spots could probably be touched up with a brush plating kit. Something to try at least...