Motor repair advice please

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Motor repair advice please

Post by Inigo »

And anyway, that part should be thoroughly cleaned and regressed before reassembling.
Did it have a ball below the spindle rest on the plate cup?
These washers may or may not be original to the motor. You'll have to do tests, with them removed, then with thin washers, etc, so you can achieve a different adjustment on the height of the spindle and fibre gear, so you eventually may find an adjustment that works.
The eccentric bearing has been well shown by colleague physicist... You can see if your bearings are centered or eccentric by simply observing them, no need to disassemble the governor. If they were eccentric, you can notice that with simple observation on how the governor axis is placed on the bearing.
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Inigo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:28 am And anyway, that part should be thoroughly cleaned and regressed before reassembling.
Did it have a ball below the spindle rest on the plate cup?
These washers may or may not be original to the motor. You'll have to do tests, with them removed, then with thin washers, etc, so you can achieve a different adjustment on the height of the spindle and fibre gear, so you eventually may find an adjustment that works.
The eccentric bearing has been well shown by colleague physicist... You can see if your bearings are centered or eccentric by simply observing them, no need to disassemble the governor. If they were eccentric, you can notice that with simple observation on how the governor axis is placed on the bearing.

Interestingly, when I cleaned that area a little, there is no ball bearing !

Anyway, it is now fully mended ! The washers etc kept on.

The answer was that there is a screw which can adjust the position of the 'Block' which holds the governor and align everything. I hope the photographs below show what I mean.

It's a miracle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so very pleased ! :)
Attachments
realign2.jpg
Last edited by poodling around on Sun May 16, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

Just to give my sincere thanks to soundgen, gramophoneshane and of course Inigo.

Without your assistance I still wouldn't have a clue but now I have learnt new and important things about repairing gramophone motors !

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Wonderful! That adjusting system I didn't know! One never stops learning, thanks!
Inigo

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

washers shouldn't be there !

poodling around
Victor V

soundgen wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:28 am washers shouldn't be there !
Oh, you've spoilt it now .................... :(

Only joking,

Well, there was a raised part between the two sets of washers which I was unsure how it could be removed. But, assumed it could be prised off.

I will see if it continues to work smoothly and if there are any problems I will try to remove the middle bit and washers.

Therefore, I may return ..........................................................................

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

If it has been working assembled that way, the intermediate raised portion could be dry grease cake... If you apply some gasoline to clean it, you will see what it is. The lost ball might be into the cake, be careful!
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:13 pm If it has been working assembled that way, the intermediate raised portion could be dry grease cake... If you apply some gasoline to clean it, you will see what it is. The lost ball might be into the cake, be careful!
I see ! Thank you very much Inigo. :)