Pathé Rooster #2 - Back Story

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Pathé Rooster #2 - Back Story

Post by Curt A »

Several years ago I obtained a Pathé rooster store display that needed restoration. It had most of its original paint, so that helped determine the direction to go...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32254&hilit=Pathé+rooster
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32501&hilit=Pathé+rooster

I am in the process of obtaining another one, which is a slightly different design, so apparently there are two variations - one says Pathé Disc on the base, the other says No More Needles To Change around the base.

The question I have is the correct paint scheme for #2. It was in a basement since the 1940s, so I don't know which color scheme to use. I have found several pictures online with varying color schemes, one of which is similar to the way it is currently painted (monotone red), the other one from PhonoGalerie in Paris is similar to the first rooster I restored - colored like an actual rooster.

I haven't received the second one yet, so can't tell if it has been repainted in a monotone red color... I believe the one in Paris is the most accurate, but there could be legitimate color variations. Has anyone seen one in person or have any opinions?

Also, any history regarding these displays or dates of manufacture would be appreciated...
Rooster #1.jpg
Rooster #1.jpg (77.85 KiB) Viewed 940 times
No Needles rooster #2.jpg
Pathe Rooster 2.jpg
Jalal's Rooster.png
Jalal's Rooster.png (563.71 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Last edited by Curt A on Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Pathé Rooster #2

Post by gramophoneshane »

Sorry I can't help with your question as I've never seen one of these in person, but congratulations Curt for obtaining your second rooster.
Good to see it's found its way to someone who will restore it with the respect and skill it deserves.
They certainly make old Nipper look a little boring lol.

It's hard to tell from photos of course, but to my eyes it seems like only the head and edge of the base have been repainted.
I guess once you actually have it, a little bit of investigation and a damp cloth should reveal what paintwork has been altered.
I hope you do another restoration thread for rooster no.2 as well.
Again, congratulations. A great find!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Thanks, Shane...
The rooster #2 looks to be the same color as the edge around the base. The base on Jalal's rooster looks correct - black with gold lettering. In another pic from the seller, it looks like the rooster's comb has some broken parts and has been painted over with the rust red.

Based on my first rooster that had most of its original paint and the picture of the second style in Paris, I believe that they were painted in color like an actual rooster. Once I have it, I'll investigate the paint to see if any definite determination can be made...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

I should receive this by the first of next week and I'll post additional pics of the restoration. At this time, I'm leaning toward the color scheme of Jalal's rooster in Paris...

My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

I discovered the back story of my new Pathé rooster from the seller - I found it to be interesting, since I had no information on the first one:

It was in Mechanicsburg, PA in the basement of a house. The house was in a family since the mid-1800s and they owned several businesses there in the early 1900s. One was a jewelry store, and I think one was an appliance store. Most likely it came from one of those.

The shelf below the Rooster had a stack of 1940s comic books including some early Batman. The room behind it still had full canning jars of food and booze from the 40s. There were two 1948 Schwinn bikes that have been sitting there since the kids who rode them went into the Army for the Korean War, and there have been no new residents since then. Hoarder house. It was wild. And dusty. 

My Wife

dyxshop
Victor O

Re: Pathé Rooster #2 - Back Story

Post by dyxshop »

Very very nice 👍!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Pathé Rooster #2 - Back Story

Post by Curt A »

Thanks for the comments... If anyone has any information - even the smallest piece - regarding the history and manufacture of these displays, it would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has one of these, please post pictures...

My Wife