Tips for getting paint off rexine

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
twilson
Victor Jr

Tips for getting paint off rexine

Post by twilson »

Hello! Haven’t been on here for a while - loving the look of the new site!
So I’ve bought a green hmv 101 case which is exciting- it’s just the case so the plan is to find all of the innards to put a sort of 101frankenphone together. Never seen a green 101 before, though I was aware they were out there!
The issue is that some smart person in the past has painted over the inside of the lid.
I’d like to see if I can remove this paint. I can think of several ways of removing it but not sure what would be the best course of action considering that I definitely do not want to damage the fragile lovely green rexine underneath. Anyone have any experience of doing this?
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Toby
Toby

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Tips for getting paint off rexine

Post by Curt A »

First thing is to determine what type of paint was used (oil, latex, etc.), then you might be able to discover a way to gently remove it...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

twilson
Victor Jr

Post by twilson »

Hi Curt,

Good shout. Will do some tests. The case has arrived now and it appears that the worst of it is flaking off quite nicely on its own which is a blessing, just need to make sure it’s not lead based before I cover my self and my house in tiny flakes of the stuff :oops:
Toby

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

You may peel it off outside home, wearing mask and all. If you do it on an old bed cloth or something, used as a carpet, you can after that rebunch with all the crap and burn out, or take it to an appropriate waste recycle area or something... Some residues one never knows how must be treated or where to deposit them.
Inigo