Edison Bedplates

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Governor Flyball
Victor II

Edison Bedplates

Post by Governor Flyball »

Am I correct to assume throughout the years manufacuring phonographs from 1888 to the late 20's, the cast iron bedplates were painted in shellac colored black or a reddish brown in some cases?

I am restoring an Amberola 50 from the late teens and would like to touch up the bedplate. I don't think Edison ever used an oil based paint. Or did they?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Edison Bedplates

Post by Lucius1958 »

I believe Edison used asphaltum on bedplates, at least the black ones.

- Bill

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Maroon and brown bedplates are indeed tinted shellac and they can’t be touched-up without looking like a botch job.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Governor Flyball
Victor II

I did more research on the asphaltum which is a bitumen paint. Seems Ford used this paint available only in black because it was durable and fast drying. With DuPont's introduction of nitro cellulose paints in the mid twenties, fast drying paints became popular in a multitude of colors.

So Japan black is a petroleum asphaltumm bitumen paint once popular. A search on line shows that it is still used for external rustproofing of cars and outdoors metalwork. I am looking for a source supply and wonder if Home Depot has the same stuff? You will find it readily available in the UK and especially India. Not much in the US and pretty well zero in Canada.

gibsonj
Victor O

Post by gibsonj »

Here's one source for asphaltum:

http://libertyonthehudson.com/

John

gibsonj
Victor O

Post by gibsonj »

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Thanks gentlemen for the Asphatum/ Japaning suggestions. I shall follow up these links.

Another question is what are the later cabinets finished with? The earlier phonograph have a shellac finish. In the late 20's fast drying cellulose based laquers were applied to Radio cabinets. What was Edison using on the Disc phonograph and the Amberolas 30, 50 and 75 from the mid teens? Looks like a varnish but for production phonographs the dtlrying would be too slow.

Any ideas?