Can you go bad with grease?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
muzafan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I like old tech phonographs in particular

Can you go bad with grease?

Post by muzafan »

As the summer hollydays have started I decided to bing my Decca 22 portable back to life. Im at a point when I succeafully cleaned out the old grease from the spring and now its time to apply a new one.
As I search for the opinion on the right lubricant on the interwebs I found a lot of different opinions. Is there a type of grease that shouldn’t be used on a gramophone spring and are there certain types od motors that would benwfit of a specific grease?

muzafan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I like old tech phonographs in particular

Is there such a thing as wrong grease?

Post by muzafan »

muzafan wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:52 pm As the summer hollydays have started I decided to bing my Decca 22 portable back to life. Im at a point when I succeafully cleaned out the old grease from the spring and now its time to apply a new one.
As I search for the opinion on the right lubricant on the interwebs I found a lot of different opinions. Is there a type of grease that shouldn’t be used on a gramophone spring and are there certain types od motors that would benwfit of a specific grease?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Can you go bad with grease?

Post by Inigo »

I use standard lithium grease, alone or mixed with graphite powder. Also Molykote in other motors. Those work fine for me...
Inigo

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Can you go bad with grease?

Post by Curt A »

Lithium grease, or any good, modern automotive grease - synthetic or not...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife