Are Honest Quaker mainsprings good quality?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Ethan
Victor O

Are Honest Quaker mainsprings good quality?

Post by Ethan »

I found an Honest Quaker spring for sale that claims to be unused and should fit in my VV 2-55, but I haven’t been able to find any information about them, aside from a few of their own advertisements--Has anyone any experience with them? Even if they are good springs, would the fact that this one has been stored in its original metal retaining ring mean that it is probably too weak to use at this point?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

- Ethan

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Are Honest Quaker mainsprings good quality?

Post by Curt A »

Honest Quaker springs have had a good reputation in the past - however, I have zero experience with them...

I don't think there would be a problem if it is stored in its original metal retaining ring - it should be fine, since it has been kept compressed and not uncoiled...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Ethan
Victor O

Post by Ethan »

It's interesting that being kept compressed would keep the spring usable; I would have expected the opposite. At any rate, I just ordered the spring, so it should be here in a week or so. Thank you for the information!

- Ethan

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

I saw that one on eBay, seemed like a good price, probably can't go wrong. Good luck!