Removing heavy oxydation from nickel

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
MikeB
Victor II

Removing heavy oxydation from nickel

Post by MikeB »

I have a couple of nickel plated tonearms with this sort of heavy oxidation. I was wondering what the best method might be to clean them. I tried very fine steel wool and had limited success, but was worried about removing the nickel plate.
Attachments
IMG_2493.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Removing heavy oxydation from nickel

Post by Curt A »

It kind of depends on what the "oxidation" actually is... If it's corrosion, then a good metal polish will work, as long as you don't polish through the nickel. The possibility is that it's 100+ years of dirt, grime, cigarette smoke, etc., so cleaning it first with GOOP (non pumice) hand cleaner might be a good place to start. If that doesn't cut it, then try alcohol, lacquer thinner or carburetor cleaner - not of which will affect the nickel plating. #0000 steel wool saturated with WD-40 or spray lubricant will work, as long as you don't get too aggressive...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

If it's dirt, maybe an ultrasonic cleaner could work well.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I don't believe that's so much oxidation as it is heavy, crusted up dirt. May even be a coat of shellac, applied long ago. Try soaking in solvents first.

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

"Autosol" is an excellent metal polish which should not damage the plating although it is not recommended for use on mirror finish surfaces e.g. mirror finish alloy wheels (unlaquered), chrome motorcycle trim, chrome finished plastic. For these applications use Autosol Superfine Alloy Wheel Polish.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

cheryla wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:00 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGTip1deZRg&t=25s this may help
That’s a u-tube or ‘gooseneck’, not a “yoke”. A ‘yoke’ is theY-shaped clip that holds a Victor backmount horn in place (not the slip-in type).
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Soak in Evaporust overnight. Wipe off gunje next day. If dirt remains soak it again. Thank me later! No abrasives used!
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

My preference is ammoniated clock cleaner. It comes in concentrated form which is mixed with water; 1 gallon of concentrate makes 8 gallons of product. It does a wonderful job on nickel and brass - just drop the part in and let it soak then rinse with water. You may need a soft brush to clean the crevices but it should come out beautifully clean and nickel will not need any polishing. You can find it at timesavers.com.