New guy in need of advice - Fairly deep scratch on my VVX

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
ChicagoVVX
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Citizen of Chicago, Steward of Great-Grandfather's Victor Victrola X.

New guy in need of advice - Fairly deep scratch on my VVX

Post by ChicagoVVX »

Hello all, I'm the steward of my VVX, a family heirloom gifted to my great-grandparents on their wedding day in the mid-1920's. I've resolved myself to touch up the finish, first using Howard Products' Clean-A-Finish and then Restor-A-Finish. But first, I think I need to deal with a fairly deep scratch on the side of the VVX. I don't expect or want the machine to be 'perfect', but I do think that a light sanding before Clean-A-Finish & Restor-A-Finish go on might be smart. If the sanded area doesn't accept stain, I thought I'd hide the area using a stain marker. Anyway, I'm a definite novice at this and was in search of advice as far as what kind of grit(s) I might use. A couple of photos are attached and any guidance is appreciated.
Attachments
Scratch.jpg
VVX.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: New guy in need of advice - Fairly deep scratch on my VVX

Post by JerryVan »

Coloring the "scratch" is a good idea. Sanding is NOT a good idea. Just use the cleaner & restorer that you mention. Others may suggest using the Non-Pumice GOJO as a cleaner, which also works well.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

A professional touch up guy can make that go away. That is a pretty bad gouge and since this is a family heirloom, I suggest getting professional help. We can't all be good at everything and it is OK to admit something is more than our skill set can handle.
Dave D

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree with both prior posts. I would visit the antique shops in your area that have really nice pieces of furniture and inquire if there is a professional that does finish repairs. I bet there's a skilled craftsman close to you that could make that flaw nearly disappear.

Jerry B.

ChicagoVVX
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Citizen of Chicago, Steward of Great-Grandfather's Victor Victrola X.

Post by ChicagoVVX »

Thank you, Jerry & Dave. I suppose I think a light sanding, only in the direction of the grain and only in that particular area along the 'scratch' (A gouge, more like!) is needed due to the loose wood fibers/raised grain. A bucket that held my grandfather's umbrella & walking stick sat next to the VVX and at some point, it must've been pushed against the machine, then bumped into the machine again and again. I'd like to do something in order to address the gouge, could steel wool be a more respectful approach?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

ChicagoVVX wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:20 pm Thank you, Jerry & Dave. I suppose I think a light sanding, only in the direction of the grain and only in that particular area along the 'scratch' (A gouge, more like!) is needed due to the loose wood fibers/raised grain. A bucket that held my grandfather's umbrella & walking stick sat next to the VVX and at some point, it must've been pushed against the machine, then bumped into the machine again and again. I'd like to do something in order to address the gouge, could steel wool be a more respectful approach?
Steel wool won't remove the loose fibers or flatten the grain, it would most likely get imbedded under the fibers. It is more appropriate for polishing metal or removing imperfections in a finished area. This issue might be remedied with burn in sticks (colored shellac sticks that are applied with a heated tool and blended into the original finish).

Good luck - here is a video to get you started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-d9btPTImI

Burn-in sticks and other supplies are available from
The Furniture Doctor - Walt the owner, is a great guy and a fellow phonograph collector
http://www.furnituredoctor.net
3323 Peach Orchard Rd.
Augusta, GA 30906
Phone: 706.798.5951
Fax: 706.798.7658
Toll-Free Orders: 1.800.715.2380
Email: supplies@furnituredoctor.net
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

+1 for GoJo on the majority of the cabinet, I just posted a video my XVI after the treatment. The stuff costs $3 at Autozone. It is amazing, even made water marks disappear.

As for that gouge, yikes, you've got your work cut out for you but the folks up above are knowledgeable about this stuff. Search through this forum for other members who've had similar refinishing inquiries and you may get even more ideas. Good luck and keep us posted! I just completely redid a VV-X and brought it to my school to keep in the music room for my kids to use though I do miss its compact size here at the house but the poor thing got squeezed out!