Consolette Crank Arm Broken

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
TuxedoJunction
Victor Jr

Consolette Crank Arm Broken

Post by TuxedoJunction »

Hi all! I am new to the forum and the victrola world! I recent purchased a Victrola VV 4-3 Consolette from an estate the sale. Everything appears to work aside from the crank arm (key). It was not attached and from what I’ve seen it should thread into the gear of the motor. I do not have anything that threads. Does anyone have advice or insight to help? I am not sure if I need an adapter piece or if I’m missing something altogether! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Consolette Crank Arm Broken

Post by Inigo »

A photo of your crank would help! :D
Inigo

TuxedoJunction
Victor Jr

Post by TuxedoJunction »

Here are a couple of photos, again, there is nothing to thread into or any threading on the crank itself!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

I don't know these motors very well, but I bet that the part at the end of the crank belongs to the motor, as it seems to have a sheared pin crossing it. The crank has become stuck to it due to age and hardened grease. Also the washer which is loosened in the crank seems to be the crank estucheon which should be screwed to the hole at the side of the machine case.
Try to detach the piece at the end of the crank unscrewing one from another. Then you'll also free the estucheon and install it on the case, to protect the crank hole in the wood.
Then you'll have to extract that sheared pin on the narrow end of the piece, by introducing a suitable nail or whatever to push it out using soft hammer kicks.
Once freed, this piece must go into the small wheel. For this you'll have to disassemble the winding gear train.

Edited. Sorry for the half explanation, I'm writing with my mobile phone. Later today I'll send clearer explanations aided by the photos you've sent...
Inigo

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Inigo’s explanation is spot on. I had the same problem a couple of years ago. You are lucky that you still have the piece that’s stuck on the crank. Mine was missing and I had to find one. The actual repair is not very difficult.

Andreas

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Both totally right, welcome to the Forum...

Soak the end piece in penetrating oil for a couple of days. Then, wrap the piece on the end with a leather belt to keep from scarring it up. Use a pair of vice grips to clamp firmly around the belt and twist the crank back and forth until it starts to loosen enough to unscrew it. NOTE: It's probably a right hand thread so it unscrews by turning the crank to the left... Once you get it separated clean the threads on the crank thoroughly with a steel brush, steel wool or a Dremel, if you have one. Then lubricate it and screw it back into the small piece to make sure it screws and unscrews easily.

If the penetrating oil doesn't work, try heating it with a heat gun or torch... hope this helps.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

After you've detached the crank from that piece in the end, ask again and we'll give you instructions about it. This is indeed the axis of the winding gear, which is still in the motor, as your photos show. It is hold to the centre of the gear by means of a pin, which has been cut, that's why the crank has been detached with the piece in it. But let's go to this when you have the part taken off the crank. :D
Inigo