Edison Opera : Request for help.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Edison Opera : Request for help.

Post by epigramophone »

Thank you Burdette. Eight Operas! I doubt there are more than eight in the West of England!
I took my Opera to Paul Morris yesterday for a health check and he found nothing wrong with it, apart from the reproducer which I already knew about and which he is going to service. The worst case scenario is that a new diamond stylus may be needed. Paul may have a spare which he would be happy to fit, but if not one will have to be sourced.

By way of a progress report, all the reproducer needed was a thorough clean and new gaskets.
When Paul opened it up with great difficulty, this is what he found :
Attachments
IMG20210906171500.jpg
Last edited by epigramophone on Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

My Opera has a little wobble, which has always bothered me. My flywheel wire is fine. What is the little spring you’re talking about? If I could fix this I would be so happy.

Pete Stratford
Victor II

Post by Pete Stratford »

I had the same sound warble problem with my Opera. I replace the fly wheel spring but it made no difference. So for years I just put up with it. A couple of months ago I decided to remove the gear cover and have a closer look. I even used a flashlight to get a better look. What I discovered was that the fly wheel was just touching ever so lightly the support casting on the left as it rotated. It was almost not visible until I used the flashlight. It only touched at one small spot on each rotation. I put a little oil on that outside rim of the fly wheel where it was rubbing and now the machine playing perfectly with no sound wobble
Attachments
B84A3AC5-40A1-4E26-B15A-79C65DFA9A25.png

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

I’ll check this, it’s maddening because they’re such amazing machines. I’ve been trying to fix this for years! I wonder what the small spring mister opera was talking about was?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The small spring is that straight wire crossing through the flywheel side to side. Its elasticity in bending is what does the spring function.
I suppose, II'm not an expert in cylinder machines. But this interesting arrangement has been explained in the forum, and I'm curious enough to have studied it.. .. :geek:
As understood from the posts, this wire acts as a floating engagement between the mandrel shaft and the flywheel.
Inigo