What should the end of this horn look like?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

What should the end of this horn look like?

Post by kirtley2012 »

I recently bought a phonograph at auction which came with this 42" brass phonograph horn, the end of it has come off, broken away at the solder joint it seems, but I'm not sure what the original end would have looked like, the opening is ⅞", so it's too large to simply have a straight tubular section there, it should taper down more, but I can't quite visualise how it would have been done in order to make a new piece, does anyone have a similar horn and may be able to provide photographs?

Cheers
DSC05232.JPG

recordmaker
Victor I

Re: What should the end of this horn look like?

Post by recordmaker »

Similar bass horn end, the straight tube part seems to be rolled brass sheet not tube originally.
I think this the end has been modified/damaged in the past so it may need more than just adding a tube although there is solder on the inner edged which suggests there is not much missing but it has been stretched.
I have seen a number of horns ( often on eBay ) where new owners/inheritors don't know about the conventional rubber tube and jam the horn end over the reproducer tube.
Attachments
brass horn end.jpg

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Thanks, good thought about it being stretched, but I have hammered it back to round and the taper to the end is in line with the rest of the horn but still a large hole, I think I've decided to turn an adapter of sorts from brass on the lathe, should be fun

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

This horn would be a perfect candidate for a Max Wurcker reproducer. The sound would fill a concert hall.