Paint on horn

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
BigC
Victor I

Paint on horn

Post by BigC »

I purchased a really nice horn at a garage sale last month. It has a little rust and some paint is is chipping but other than that it's good. The problem is that someone spattered silver paint on it. What is the safest way to remove it without damaging the original paint? Thanks
Attachments
20210801_212204.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Paint on horn

Post by Curt A »

Try using the edge of a credit card as a scraper.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

Ok ill give it to try. Thank you I would have never thought of something so simple.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

With a Q-Tip, in a tiny spot, try removing the paint with acetone, (i.e. finger nail polish remover).

Or, since the paint spatter appears very thin, you may be able to remove it with a fine automobile rubbing compound, then follow up with car polish.

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

Curt A wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:11 pm Try using the edge of a credit card as a scraper.
Well the credit card thing didn't work its very thin. I'll try something else. Thanks
Last edited by BigC on Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

JerryVan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:37 pm With a Q-Tip, in a tiny spot, try removing the paint with acetone, (i.e. finger nail polish remover).

Or, since the paint spatter appears very thin, you may be able to remove it with a fine automobile rubbing compound, then follow up with car polish.
I'll give the rubbing compound a shot. Thank you.

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

Well the credit card didn't work and the nail polish remover took the silver paint off but made the original paint darker hopefully it will clear off but I think I'm just going to try to polish what I can off and leave it alone. Thank for all the help.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

BigC wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:34 pm Well the credit card didn't work and the nail polish remover took the silver paint off but made the original paint darker hopefully it will clear off but I think I'm just going to try to polish what I can off and leave it alone. Thank for all the help.
The original paint looked darker because, it was protected by the silver paint and not allowed to fade or oxidize as the surrounding paint likely has. Once the silver is removed, rubbing out the finish with car polish should bring everything relatively close to the same color. But, as always, experiment in a small spot first.

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

JerryVan wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:47 pm
BigC wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:34 pm Well the credit card didn't work and the nail polish remover took the silver paint off but made the original paint darker hopefully it will clear off but I think I'm just going to try to polish what I can off and leave it alone. Thank for all the help.
The original paint looked darker because, it was protected by the silver paint and not allowed to fade or oxidize as the surrounding paint likely has. Once the silver is removed, rubbing out the finish with car polish should bring everything relatively close to the same color. But, as always, experiment in a small spot first.
Ok that makes sense because where the paint was thin you can't notice it but where it was thick its dark. This horn must have looked really good when it was new. The colors are nice.