Raspy Reproducer Repair

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
WRDancey
Victor Jr

Raspy Reproducer Repair

Post by WRDancey »

Hi All,

I've got a c. 1920's hand wound PAL Phonograph. Works exceptionally well, but recently the reproducer has gotten extremely raspy - to the point that music is unpleasant to listen to. I have been told my reproducer is a Toman. I suspect that the rubber gaskets inside are failing and need to be replaced. Before I tear into the reproducer, does anyone have helpful hints or advice for replacing these gaskets? What materials will I need to replicate these gaskets? A photo of the innards would be particularly helpful.

Thanks for the help!

W.R.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Raspy Reproducer Repair

Post by Curt A »

A photo of your reproducer would be extremely helpful...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Since it seems that maybe you're new to this, I'll ask if you're aware that the needle needs to changed after playing maybe 1 or 2 sides of a record? Not to say there can't be other reasons for a raspy reproducer... I bring this up only because a Columbia phonograph I assisted in selling recently was purchased by a "newbie" who had no idea that the needles don't last forever. Not picking on anyone, since it's unlikely that anyone new to the hobby today would know that. Forgive me if you were already aware. :)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

No shame at all. This is an obliged warning to anyone entering into gramophones :D Steel needles are deemed to be used only once (one side) then change for a new one. That's the purpose needles and records were designed for. In other words: the intended playing time for a steel needle on shellac 78rpm records is four or five minutes, or a single record side, the shortest of both, and no more. We should write this golden rule at the entrance to the forum, so everyone reads it and it's well aware of this. ;)
Inigo

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

WRDancey wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:44 pm Hi All,

I've got a c. 1920's hand wound PAL Phonograph. Works exceptionally well, but recently the reproducer has gotten extremely raspy - to the point that music is unpleasant to listen to. I have been told my reproducer is a Toman. I suspect that the rubber gaskets inside are failing and need to be replaced. Before I tear into the reproducer, does anyone have helpful hints or advice for replacing these gaskets? What materials will I need to replicate these gaskets? A photo of the innards would be particularly helpful.

Thanks for the help!

W.R.
More to the point of your original question, you may find the gasket material you need here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49831&p=296180&hilit=gasket#p296180

It's what is used in most brands of reproducers. If it's not right for a Toman, then Wyatt will most likely have a suggestion and source for what will work.