Restoration of Pathé rooster #2 - NEW pics

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Restoration of Pathé rooster #2 - NEW pics

Post by Curt A »

Back in June I posted a thread regarding my find of another plaster Pathé rooster.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49722&p=295246&hili ... 32#p295246

This week I have started the restoration, with the plan to keep it with as much original paint as possible. After thoroughly cleaning it, I could confirm that this rooster has its original paint and that more than 90% is intact and stable. The paint appears to be a lead paint, since it has a unique translucent appearance, that I was afraid would be difficult or impossible to replicate. Red paint is one of the most difficult to match and I didn't want to end up with a mismatched spotty look when touching up small chips.

The rooster is physically in good condition, with the exception of a chipped beak, some small chips in the paint, several small holes and two larger holes, one in each leg. Since I have no idea what caused the damage on the legs, I didn't want raw or broken plaster in the holes, so I decided to stabilize the insides with a coating of wood glue to make sure the filler would have a good surface to adhere to. This proved to be successful and allowed me to fill the cavities with epoxy putty.

Regarding the paint, the original appeared to be a burnt orange base with brick red over the top, although I think the original paint just appears that way due to its translucent nature. I'm posting a close up of the original paint showing the effect I am referring to.
Original paint
Original paint

I decided the best way to match the paint was to apply a burnt orange undercoat with a sponge, then sponge brick red paint over the top. I started by fixing the beak and touching up the chips on the comb...
Beak and comb repair
Beak and comb repair

The following pics are the legs stabilized and then filled with epoxy...

Glue in hole.jpg
IMG_2740.jpg
Patched leg.jpg

I'll post more pics as I make progress...
Last edited by Curt A on Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Restoration of Pathé rooster #2

Post by Curt A »

Here is what the beak and comb looked like - before touch up.

Beak&comb-BEFORE.jpg

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Looks like you are doing the rooster justice, when it's complete you will certainly have another thing to "crow" about!
Be careful with that lead paint though, I'd like you to last long enough to do more of these restorations.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

AudioFeline wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:15 am Looks like you are doing the rooster justice, when it's complete you will certainly have another thing to "crow" about!
Be careful with that lead paint though, I'd like you to last long enough to do more of these restorations.
I'm not doing anything to disturb the lead paint, so hopefully I'll still be around to do more... but my warranty has run out (if I ever had one). :roll: :lol:

My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

More pictures of restoration progress:

First pic, orange undercoat to cover the chipped paint and epoxy filler repairs.

Orange Legs.png

Second pic: restoring raised lettering on the base that was worn down or not molded with enough detail.
I traced over them with glue to give them more raised definition before painting...

Base Letters.png

My Wife

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Restoration of Pathé rooster #2 - NEW pics

Post by nostalgia »

Fascinating and excellent work on this Pathé rooster, Curt :geek: :)
,,and this time no green arsenic paint involved on a Pathé product ;)

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Restoration of Pathé rooster #2 - NEW pics

Post by Curt A »

nostalgia wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:57 am Fascinating and excellent work on this Pathé rooster, Curt :geek: :)
,,and this time no green arsenic paint involved on a Pathé product ;)
No green arsenic, just red lead... :roll: :lol:

My Wife