How to replace belt Amberola 1A?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dupree972
Victor Jr

How to replace belt Amberola 1A?

Post by Dupree972 »

I bought a Amberola 1A at an auction, it is my first 1A I have had or used. Any tips to replace the belt, it looks like it requires some disassembly of the top works to replace?

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: How to replace belt Amberola 1A?

Post by TinfoilPhono »

You will need to remove the gear cover at the far left, over the pulley. That's very simple. Remove the reproducer and unhook the horn from the reproducer support. Remove the crank, and then you can lift up the mechanism from the left side -- it's hinged at the right. There's a metal support bar to hold it up while you're working on it. You can't mount a completed belt -- it has to be glued together while on the machine. So measure the belt, then cut it and taper it at your work bench or table, and finally wrap it around the shaft before gluing and clamping the seam together. Once that's dry you can just slip it over the pulley. It sounds more complicated than it really is.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Maybe I'm a little dense this morning, but where is there a belt on an Amberola 1A? Isn't it a geared drive, similar to an Opera?

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

The 1A is not direct-geared (alas) -- it uses a good old-fashioned leather belt. I've replaced mine a few times over the past 30 years so I'm all too aware of that! I've never had a 1B, that may well have an Opera-style direct drive.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The Amberola 1a and the short-lived Amberola IV are the only upright Amberolas to use a belt.

The Amberola 1b uses the same direct-drive mechanism as the Opera and Amberola III.

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Cool! My face is red, :oops: , as I have a 1A!

It worked excellent when I got it and I never really snooped around "under the hood", so to speak. Thanks!!