Best source for Victor springs?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Best source for Victor springs?

Post by gramophoneshane »

JeffR1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:40 pm The bearing you want to leave in place is on the disc end, it has a round ball that the governor spindle drives against.
I've never encountered a ball bearing in a governor bearing ever and I've been doing these motors for over 40 yrs.
The only ball bearing I've ever encountered has been at the bottom of the spindle shaft.
The bearing at the worm gear end of the governor is however the best one to leave in its original position though as it places the worm gear in the same position to meet up with the spindle shaft gear

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

gramophoneshane wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:59 pm
JeffR1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:40 pm The bearing you want to leave in place is on the disc end, it has a round ball that the governor spindle drives against.
I've never encountered a ball bearing in a governor bearing ever and I've been doing these motors for over 40 yrs.
The only ball bearing I've ever encountered has been at the bottom of the spindle shaft.
The bearing at the worm gear end of the governor is however the best one to leave in its original position though as it places the worm gear in the same position to meet up with the spindle shaft gear
My motor has one, I don't think it's an actual ball, but it's machined to look as though it has one.
I can clearly see it is not flat like the other end, and if I take a straight pin, I can feel it's not flat.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

According to the Victor motor parts book, there is a thrust ball bearing. See attached pic.
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 3.JPG (77.26 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Last edited by gramophone78 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

gramophoneshane wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:59 pm
I have never encountered a governor bearing at the thrust end, that DIDN'T have a ball in it. Don't remove the ball. Just clean the bearing hole and re-use it.