Advice please: HMV Hornless (Maybe model 1).

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
poodling around
Victor V

Advice please: HMV Hornless (Maybe model 1).

Post by poodling around »

I would appreciate advice concerning the following:

I note that the motor board is 'removed' by unscrewing the front screws and then it rises on the rear hinges.

Do you have to remove the tonearm as well as there would seem to be insufficient space to raise the motor board fully / sufficiently otherwise ?

Also, can anyone identify the HMV motor please. Here is a photo of part of it:
Attachments
motor.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Advice please: HMV Hornless (Maybe model 1).

Post by JerryVan »

poodling around wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:51 pm I would appreciate advice concerning the following:

I note that the motor board is 'removed' by unscrewing the front screws and then it rises on the rear hinges.

Do you have to remove the tonearm as well as there would seem to be insufficient space to raise the motor board fully / sufficiently otherwise ?

I don't suppose it would do any harm to raise the motorboard and see for yourself if the arm interferes.

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Advice please: HMV Hornless (Maybe model 1).

Post by poodling around »

JerryVan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:20 pm
poodling around wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:51 pm I would appreciate advice concerning the following:

I don't suppose it would do any harm to raise the motorboard and see for yourself if the arm interferes.
Thanks Jerry. I have managed to lift it enough to see the motor.

Sadly, it has a crack in the iron part which attaches to the motor board. This means that the govonor (how-ever you spell it) will not attach properly.

I am going to try to fix it myself tomorrow. Maybe using a bolt to hold it in place and stop one side slipping.