Edison diamond stylus bar pivot pin size/source

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
vichighmathguy
Victor O

Edison diamond stylus bar pivot pin size/source

Post by vichighmathguy »

Hello all,
I know this been discussed before but not (or so I think) to the depth that I would like to discuss now.
I have recently rebuilt a Diamond Disc and two Amberola C reproducers. They all used the same size of pin through the stylus bar. The measured diameter of these pins was uniform: 0.0264+ of an inch. The "+" indicating that they were slightly larger than 0.264 but impossible to measure accurately with my dial calliper. If I had to guess, I would say they were between 0.2644 and 0.2645".
In trying to locate a source of wire/rod with that diameter, I have come up empty. I know that some suggest using #70 or #71 drill rod, but those sizes are 0.028 or 0.026", not as close as I would like. Similarly, #11 piano wire is 0.026", again slightly undersize.
Can anyone identify what Edison used? The difference between 0.026 and 0.026+" (my notation) may appear very tiny, but it is the difference between a press/push fit and a clearance (free running) fit. My understanding is that, unless the reproducer has been worked on in its past, the stylus bar should rotate freely about the pin which is stationary, having been pressed into the side bosses.
Any comments as to a source of stylus bar pin material?
Thanks very much,
Don Mayer

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Edison diamond stylus bar pivot pin size/source

Post by JerryVan »

Try an industrial supply company that sells gauge pins...

https://www.mcmaster.com/gauge-pins/cla ... ze~0-0265/

vichighmathguy
Victor O

Post by vichighmathguy »

JerryVan wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:14 pm Try an industrial supply company that sells gauge pins...

Absolutely brilliant! This is exactly what I need (I think). I'll try to order some although shipping to Canada is frequently an iffy proposition (care to bet how much it will cost to ship 5 x 2" long guage pins?). They should be shippable in an envelope but I'm holding my breath. The cost of shipping isn't displayed, just the option to enter credit card first and have shipping added later. Will call them tomorrow to see what happens.

Thank, JerryVan - I so much appreciate your contribution.

Don

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

vichighmathguy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:17 pm
JerryVan wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:14 pm Try an industrial supply company that sells gauge pins...

Absolutely brilliant! This is exactly what I need (I think). I'll try to order some although shipping to Canada is frequently an iffy proposition (care to bet how much it will cost to ship 5 x 2" long guage pins?). They should be shippable in an envelope but I'm holding my breath. The cost of shipping isn't displayed, just the option to enter credit card first and have shipping added later. Will call them tomorrow to see what happens.

Thank, JerryVan - I so much appreciate your contribution.

Don
You're very welcome Don. Hope this works well for you! :)