GoJo vs Goop Opinions

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
reed99
Victor Jr
Personal Text: some people talk too much and say too little

GoJo vs Goop Opinions

Post by reed99 »

I was originally a Kotton Klenser proponent. Then I tried non-pumice GoJo with the same great results at a fraction of the cost. Now I'm having trouble finding non-pumice GoJo locally and I've tried several stores. I brought home a small tub of Goop. Tell me Goop Guys, am I going to be happy with the results?

Thanks,
Reed

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: GoJo vs Goop Opinions

Post by phonogfp »

I've used GoJo, Goop, and Purple Power with equally good results.

George P.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

phonogfp wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:41 pm I've used GoJo, Goop, and Purple Power with equally good results.

George P.
Same here. I used to find GooP at Walmart, but now they only have Purple Power. Harbor Freight still has GooP and AutoZone has GoJo, at least in my area. Can't really notice a difference.

Andreas

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I tend to buy Goop at Harbor Freight because there's almost always a 20% off coupon in the Sunday newspaper.

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

I went looking for non-pumice Goop and GoJo about 6 months ago to try for the first time on a Victrola cabinet, but only found the kind with pumice. So instead I bought some of the generic cleaner in an orange container (found right along side the empty shelves where Goop/GoJo would have been) and I was pleased with the results. Granted I lack knowledge of what Goop/GoJo does, but from the overall before and after appearance of the wood, and the amount of dirt in the cleaner as I scrubbed, it worked very well. Point being, there may not be a whole lot of difference in the product formulations(?).

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

These products seen to be kind of creamy soap, traditional formula...
Inigo

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’ve only used Goop and it’s worked fine for me.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Inigo wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:33 pm These products seen to be kind of creamy soap, traditional formula...
My brother used to just take a bar of hand soap (Usually Castile soap) and cover it with some water and soak it until it was creamy like you mention. And just use that for cleaning things. He did it with Ivory soap as well. He says that it's pretty much the same as GoJo and Goop, et. I never much cared for those products as I had one of them turn an old finish sticky and it wouldn't dry. But most people seem to have pretty good luck with them.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

reed99 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:58 pm Now I'm having trouble finding non-pumice GoJo locally and I've tried several stores.
Advance Auto Parts carries the original formula (non pumice) GoJo and it's where I've purchased my supply for many years. I always buy it in the 4.5 pound tub for around 18 or so dollars. Lasts a long time and works fantastic.

Doug