4 Door Credenza Motor Noise-HELP!!!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

4 Door Credenza Motor Noise-HELP!!!

Post by need4art »

Well we got past the tone arm challenge, but am now faced with another one. In fact the only thing that went as planned was rebuilding the lid struts!
I have rebuild 5 machines with 43 spring motors and never had a problem. Take the springs out clean, rewind put back in, play records. Well in this case "not so fast, fella! Take the springs out do my usual thing, they don't look that bad, had someone been in there before? Don't know.

Now in the process of putting the motors together had a heck of a time getting the end cap ring back on. It took forever to get the lid even enough to get the ring to stay put. The springs hooked up and locked in place but I swear they made the barrel slightly out of round, so I had to keep messing with the ring just to get it to stay in place. Yes did all the normal stuff using a aluminum 1 inch in diameter rod to seat them.

I usually do not take out the spindle and governor, just use break cleaner and re-oil and in the past no problem.

Fired it up and noise, and then more noise-what the heck!!!! took everything apart, except spindle and governor cleaned re-greased, lubed, still noise but not as bad. Speed stays constant, lower nose which seems to come and go but the louder clicking noise, while a bit lower is back and it is not consistent either, it seems to come at certain times..

Is there a bearing at the bottom of the record spindle-and could that cause the problem?

There is a video attached take a look and listen and keep me from dragging it outside and trying to perform heart surgery with a chain saw!
Attachments
IMG_0962 MOTOR NOISE.MOV
(13.56 MiB) Downloaded 78 times

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: 4 Door Credenza Motor Noise-HELP!!!

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

While reading your post, I was thinking about a completely different type of noise. This is really weird, never heard a noise like this before. Seems due to lack of lubrication, but you said you lubricated everything with care...

Did you tried to play a record? Most of the times motors are more noisy when idling, many noises tend to disappear when the drag of a record being played is applied.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

The governor weights are hitting the leather pad bracket.
Loosen the two bearings that the governor rides in and slide the whole unit back to provide clearance.

It's intermittent because it slows down momentarily when it hits, then speeds up and does it again.

If it can't be adjusted, as the newer motors have a fixed end bearing, then look for where the governor weights are coming in contact with something while running.

Check that the small screws on the 3 governor springs a snug and the weights as well.
Gently pull on the weights to make sure they are not loose.

Pretty sure that's it.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

There MUST be a ball bearing inside the cup where the turntable spindle rests.
Inigo

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

need4art wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:23 pm
I usually do not take out the spindle and governor, just use break cleaner and re-oil and in the past no problem.

Fired it up and noise, and then more noise-what the heck!!!! took everything apart, except spindle and governor
Looks like you should add that to your motor building routine. ;)

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

OK ,took a look at thru governor and as JeffR1 noted this is a newer motor and could not be adjusted, but I pulled out the bearings and cleaned and lubed them. A little less noise but the clicking was still there. Took out the spindle and checked for bearing-yep was there, put back in. but when i took the motor out I noted that on the side of the large gear that meets up to the spindle gear, that there was some roughness on the side of a couple of the gear teeth. I dressed them with a small file and bingo, noise was reduced, after a bit more and re-greasing. Gone!

Now on to my next question...
Thx to all for the help
Abe

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

need4art wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:00 pm OK ,took a look at thru governor and as JeffR1 noted this is a newer motor and could not be adjusted, but I pulled out the bearings and cleaned and lubed them. A little less noise but the clicking was still there. Took out the spindle and checked for bearing-yep was there, put back in. but when i took the motor out I noted that on the side of the large gear that meets up to the spindle gear, that there was some roughness on the side of a couple of the gear teeth. I dressed them with a small file and bingo, noise was reduced, after a bit more and re-greasing. Gone!

Thx to all for the help
Abe
What happened to the teeth that they needed dressing with a file, did the motor run before you serviced and cleaned it ?
Did you do something to the teeth ?

Very odd thing to happen, was it dropped at some point ?

Just tying to figure out how this happened ?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Sometimes the teeth have burrs that come out from the plane of the gear, filling these burrs out also helps.
Inigo

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

JeffR1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:18 am
need4art wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:00 pm OK ,took a look at thru governor and as JeffR1 noted this is a newer motor and could not be adjusted, but I pulled out the bearings and cleaned and lubed them. A little less noise but the clicking was still there. Took out the spindle and checked for bearing-yep was there, put back in. but when i took the motor out I noted that on the side of the large gear that meets up to the spindle gear, that there was some roughness on the side of a couple of the gear teeth. I dressed them with a small file and bingo, noise was reduced, after a bit more and re-greasing. Gone!

Thx to all for the help
Abe
What happened to the teeth that they needed dressing with a file, did the motor run before you serviced and cleaned it ?

Not really that odd. These things are 100 years old, lots of hands have handled them over the years.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

JerryVan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:31 pm
JeffR1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:18 am

Thx to all for the help
Abe

Not really that odd. These things are 100 years old, lots of hands have handled them over the years.
Bad assumption on my part then.
I assumed that you tried the motor before you cleaned it and it worked.
The way the thread was going, it sounded as if it was something you did. ;)