Victor III Spring Barrel Issue

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JeffR1
Victor III

Re: Victor III Spring Barrel Issue

Post by JeffR1 »

I think it will work, even loose like that, but it may be a bit difficult getting the spring engaged.
What about finding someone with a wire feed welder, and get him to tack it in place ?

Nipper123
Victor O
Personal Text: Hello

Post by Nipper123 »

Are you implying that the rivet would still work if I did not tamper with it?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

If you cleaned it up really well, you should be able to silver solder it. (Not the soft "silver bearing solder" sold at the big-box home improvement stores.) If you're not well practiced at silver soldering, and don't know anyone who is, then follow the advice of others here.

Myself, I'd either make a new pin or try again to peen the one you've got... although it looks well beat. Proper peening begins with a flat faced hammer, to expand the pin into the hole, then repeated smaller hits with the ball end of a ball pein hammer, working from the center outwards in a circular pattern, forming a crowned head. If you make a new pin, it should extend by ½ of the pin diameter prior to peening. Make sure the new pin is a tight fit in the hole prior to peening, because peening will only expand the pin just so much, and if you allow too much play... it just won't work. Your new pin must have a shoulder under the flange to keep the flange spaced away from the barrel enough to allow the spring to slip in. Using a piece of the old spring to maintain that clearance, as you suggested, will not work.

Nipper123
Victor O
Personal Text: Hello

Post by Nipper123 »

Thank you very much for all the detailed information and instructions. I tried to peen the old pin back in place again but unfortunately, it did not make it tight again. I ordered a new pin from Brian Parlier so I will see how that goes.
Attachments
10.png