Victrola No.2 Soundbox repair

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Victrola No.2 Soundbox repair

Post by Edisonfan »

So I bought som new gaskets from my Victrola No.2 soundbox, and there is another gasket I didn’t consider replacing? Anyway I got the Gaskets from Gettysburg Antique Phonographs : Walt Sommers. He even included instructions how to do the repair? I know someone on here has rebuilt on of these before? I probably should have bought a new rubber mounting gasket. I need white glue and a soldering iron. Too remove the wax off the mica diaphragm to remove the tiny screw. This is going to take patients and time.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Victrola No.2 Soundbox repair

Post by JerryVan »

What are you going to do with white glue and a soldering iron?

The old wax you can just scrape off with your thumb nail. Or, maybe a toothpick. Just be sure the diaphragm is laying on a flat surface if you apply any force to it. A good quality jeweler's screwdriver will be needed to remove the tiny diaphragm screw.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:21 pm What are you going to do with white glue and a soldering iron?

The old wax you can just scrape off with your thumb nail. Or, maybe a toothpick. Just be sure the diaphragm is laying on a flat surface if you apply any force to it. A good quality jeweler's screwdriver will be needed to remove the tiny diaphragm screw.
Walt Sommers suggested using white glue or nail polish after cleaning the flange opening where the flange gasket goes. He suggest a soldering iron to melt the wax?

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

You really need to read this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Compleat-Talking ... 1886606226

Cheap nail polish remover has always worked for me with removing the old wax. Also you’ll need to replace the rubber insulator on the back plate. The one with the brass insert with the tab. Sometimes they come out easy. Most likely you’ll need a heat gun to melt the old rubber.

A cheap soldering iron can be found at your local Walmart.

Glenn

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Damfino59 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:22 am You really need to read this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Compleat-Talking ... 1886606226

Cheap nail polish remover has always worked for me with removing the old wax. Also you’ll need to replace the rubber insulator on the back plate. The one with the brass insert with the tab. Sometimes they come out easy. Most likely you’ll need a heat gun to melt the old rubber.

A cheap soldering iron can be found at your local Walmart.

Glenn
I have that book!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Edisonfan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:58 pm
JerryVan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:21 pm What are you going to do with white glue and a soldering iron?

Walt Sommers suggested using white glue or nail polish after cleaning the flange opening where the flange gasket goes. He suggest a soldering iron to melt the wax?
Okay. Thanks!

To melt the wax back onto the needle arm/diaphragm joint I use a small electronics type soldering pencil. Anything much larger gets clumsy.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

I was successful in replacing the Gaskets on my soundbox!